1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power of a winch

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A loaded ore car has a mass of 950kg and rolls on rails with negligible friction. It starts from rest and is pulled up a mine shaft by a cable connected to a winch. The shaft is inclined at 30.0 degrees above the horizontal. The car accelerates uniformly to a speed of 2.2 m/s in 12.0 seconds and then continues at a constant speed.

a) what power must the winch motor provide when the car is moving at constant speed?

2. Relevant equations
    Well, Power=Force x Velocity
    Force = T

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well to find the Tension in the rope, I found the component of G that was opposite the Tension and set it to -Fs. Then I set -Fs + T = 0 => Fs = T. Looking at The triangle under the cart I used sin(30)= Fs/g => Fs= gsin(30) which = 4.9 N

Since power = F*V I got P= (4.9)(2.2) = 10.78 kW. The back of the book says its 10.2 kW though. Im just wondering where I went wrong
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2
    I can't understand what you do with Fs and T. You do not use the mass of the cart. 4.9 N * 2.2 m/s will give you 10.78 W and not 10.78 kW
  4. Apr 17, 2008 #3
    Oh ok, well then care to give me some advice on how to solve the problem then?
  5. Apr 17, 2008 #4
    The Idea of splitting the force of gravity in components parallel and perpendicular to the ground was ok. As was power = force * speed
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?