Power of an Object: Desk Force & Newton's Law

• Thread starter Hepic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary: Static or sudden doesn't matter: Newton's 3rd law still holds. If you manage to exert a force of X Newtons on the desk, then the desk exerts an equal and opposite force of X Newtons on your hand.So does not matter how much force an object can stand.
Hepic
Lets say that my desk can stand until 50 Newtons.
So I put my hand up to desk with 20 Newtons,so third Newton's law says that desktop will put force with 20 Newtons my hand. After some seconds,I put force with 50 Newtons,so my hand will feel 50 Newtons too from the desk. After I put force of 55 Newtons(so desk will broke). Theoritically my hand will feel 50,or 55 Newtons ??

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hepic said:
After I put force of 55 Newtons(so desk will broke).
If it breaks at 50N you can't apply 55N to it.

Lets say that desktop can stand until 50 Newtons.
Suddenly I put force of 55 Newtons. My hand will feel 50 Newtons or more?

How were you able to apply 55 Newtons to a desk that can only withstand 50 Newtons?

The desk always pushes back with a force equal to whatever force you exert on it. So if you managed to push it with 55 N for a moment before it broke, then the desk would have exerted 55 N back on you for that moment.

Hepic said:
Suddenly I put force ...
I thought you meant static forces. For a short time you can apply greater forces because of the desks inertia.

That depends on the way the desk breaks. You can get a force above 50 N if you accelerate parts of the desk downwards.
Suddenly I put force of 55 Newtons
How do you do that? In general, you can choose the position of your hand, but it is problematic to choose the force in non-static environments (like breaking desks).

Hepic said:
Lets say that desktop can stand until 50 Newtons.
Suddenly I put force of 55 Newtons. My hand will feel 50 Newtons or more?

In an idealized model, you won't be able to apply a force of more than 50N. You'll push harder and harder, and the desktop will push back on you with equal and opposite force, until you get up to 50N. When you do, the desktop will break, your hand will go through it and keep moving without anything to oppose it. Imagine that there was a spring scale sitting on the desk, and you're piling weights onto the scale. Every time you add a weight, the reading on the scale goes up. But the moment you get the scale to read 50N, the desk will break, the scale will go into free free on the way to the floor, and it will read zero while it's falling... So you can't apply a force of more than 50N in this idealized model.

It's a different story if you're striking the desk with your fist or a hammer - then we're thinking about accelerating the pieces of the broken desktop, and potentially much larger forces may be involved.

Doc Al said:
How were you able to apply 55 Newtons to a desk that can only withstand 50 Newtons?

The desk always pushes back with a force equal to whatever force you exert on it. So if you managed to push it with 55 N for a moment before it broke, then the desk would have exerted 55 N back on you for that moment.

I do not mean about static power,but a sudden one.
So,If I put force 100+ I will feel the same power in my hand?(synchronous)

Hepic said:
I do not mean about static power,but a sudden one.
So,If I put force 100+ I will feel the same power in my hand?(synchronous)
Static or sudden doesn't matter: Newton's 3rd law still holds. If you manage to exert a force of X Newtons on the desk, then the desk exerts an equal and opposite force of X Newtons on your hand.

So does not matter how much force an object can stand.
If I ask an infinite power,I will get the same.(theoritically).
Right?

Hepic said:
Right?
If you can exert the force against the object, then the object will exert the same force against you.

Sometimes it's not so easy to exert that force. Example: It's easy to punch a concrete wall and create a (relatively) large force. Try punching a fly or a piece of tissue paper with that same force. Good luck!

Hepic said:
Right?
No one has corrected this yet, but force and power are two completely different things.

1. What is the "Power of an Object"?

The power of an object refers to its ability to exert a force on another object. This force can cause the object to move, change direction, or change shape.

2. What is the "Desk Force" in relation to Newton's Law?

The desk force is the force that a desk exerts on an object placed on it. This force is an example of Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. How does Newton's First Law relate to the power of an object?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force. This means that an object's power, or ability to exert a force, is directly related to its inertia. The more inertia an object has, the more force it can exert.

4. Can the power of an object be increased?

Yes, the power of an object can be increased by increasing its mass or its acceleration. This is stated by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force exerted by an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

5. How does the power of an object affect its movement?

The power of an object is directly related to its ability to cause movement. The greater the power of an object, the more force it can exert, and the more likely it is to cause movement or change in direction or shape.