What is the relationship between power and dissipated energy in cycling?

In summary, the cyclist's speed stabilizes at 45 km/h after he has climbed a certain distance and the energy dissipated due to friction is decreasing.
ZJacob
A cyclist is driving along an on an inclined plan with an angle of ## \alpha = 0,04 ##. His mass (including the bike and his stuff) is ## 75 Kg ##.

His speed at an altitude of ## 1200 m ## (1) is ## 50 Km/h ## and after some minutes, he pasts by an altitude of ## 950 m ## (2) with a speed of ## 62 Km/h ##

The image below is an illustration.

BoxInclude_June2003.png

1. What is the dissipated energy of friction?

After a certain point, the cyclist velocity stabilises at ## v = 45 Km/h ##.
2. What is the power of the dissipated energy of friction?

1. The dissipated energy:

## \Delta E_{m} = E_{2} - E_{1} = m ( \frac{ v^{2}_{2} - v^{2}_{1} }{2} + g(z_{2} - z_{1}) ) = - 180 KJ ##

Should I say that the dissipated energy is ## E = - 180 KJ ## or ## E = 180 KJ ## ?

2. The dissipated power:

We know that: ## P = \frac{dE}{dt} ##

The above equation will become:

## \Delta E_{m} = E_{2} - E_{1} = mg(z_{2} - z_{1}) = mg sin (\alpha)(x_{2} - x_{1})##

Because ## v ## is constant.

For small value we take: ## sin \alpha = \alpha ##, thus: ## \Delta E_{m} = E_{2} - E_{1} = mg\alpha(x_{2} - x_{1})##

I don't see how to past to the derivative of ## E ## the dissipated energy. I mean, I need to have the expression of ## E ## so I can have its derivative.

* Am I allowed to past from ## \Delta E ## to ## dE ##?

* If yes. Dividing by ## dt ## is possible, too? so I can have the derivative?

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ZJacob!

I've moved your post to the homework forums. In the future, please make sure you post your homework questions in the appropriate homework forum and use the template provided when creating a post.

Anyone? :smile:

ZJacob said:
* Am I allowed to past from ## \Delta E## to ##dE## ?

Since the velocity has stabilized at 45 km/h, is the energy dissipated per unit of time changing? If you were to graph the energy dissipated over time, what would that look like? How is ##\frac{dE}{dt}## related to that graph?

Drakkith said:
Since the velocity has stabilized at 45 km/h, is the energy dissipated per unit of time changing? If you were to graph the energy dissipated over time, what would that look like? How is ##\frac{dE}{dt}## related to that graph?

* The energy dissipated per unit of time is not changing after the velocity has stabilized since: ## \Delta E_{m} = mg\alpha v ##.

* If I were to graph the energy dissipated, the graph would look like this:
identity.gif

* ## \frac{dE}{dt} ## is the slope.

Q: Could you please answer my first question about the sign of the dissipated energy? Thank you.

ZJacob said:
* ##\frac{dE}{dt}## is the slope.

So what's the slope of a straight line and how does that relate to ##\frac{ΔE}{Δt}##?

ZJacob said:
Q: Could you please answer my first question about the sign of the dissipated energy? Thank you.

I would if I could. :frown:

Drakkith said:
So what's the slope of a straight line and how does that relate to ##\frac{ΔE}{Δt}##?

I would if I could. :frown:

The slope of a straight line is: ## \frac{\Delta f}{\Delta x} ##. Also ##\frac{ΔE}{Δt}## represent the rate of change of the energy. Which can also be written as: ## \frac{dE}{dt} ##. So, I'm allowed to past from ## \Delta E_{m}## to ## dE_{m} ##. Correct?

Why? It would be wrong if I wrote: The energy dissipated is: ## E = - 180 KJ ## ? Thank you.

ZJacob said:
So, I'm allowed to past from ##\Delta E_{m}## to ##dE_{m}## . Correct?

As far as I know, yes.

ZJacob said:
Why? It would be wrong if I wrote: The energy dissipated is: ##E=−180KJ##?

I'm sorry but I don't know for certain.

Drakkith said:
As far as I know, yes.
I'm sorry but I don't know for certain.

Thank you.

1. What is the definition of "power of dissipated energy"?

The power of dissipated energy refers to the rate at which energy is transformed from one form to another, typically from a usable form to a less useful or wasted form. It is a measure of how quickly energy is being lost or dispersed.

2. How is the power of dissipated energy calculated?

The power of dissipated energy is calculated by dividing the amount of energy dissipated (usually measured in joules) by the time it takes for the energy to be dissipated (measured in seconds). This results in a unit of measurement called watts, which represents the rate of energy transfer.

3. What are some examples of dissipated energy?

Some common examples of dissipated energy include heat from friction, sound from vibrations, and light from electrical resistance. Any process that results in the transfer of energy from a form that can be used to a form that is less useful can be considered dissipated energy.

4. How does the power of dissipated energy affect efficiency?

The power of dissipated energy is directly related to efficiency. The more energy that is dissipated, the less efficient a system is. This is because the dissipated energy is not able to be used for its intended purpose, resulting in wasted resources and decreased efficiency.

5. Can the power of dissipated energy be reduced?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate dissipated energy, it can be reduced through various methods such as lubrication to reduce friction, soundproofing to minimize sound vibrations, and using efficient technologies to reduce electrical resistance. These methods can help increase efficiency and reduce the amount of dissipated energy in a system.