Exploring the Force of Earth on Falling Objects

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravity and its impact on objects falling from a height. The force of Earth, or gravity, is determined by the masses and the distance between them, as described by the formula F=Gm1m2/r2. The force of Earth affects the speed of falling objects, but it is not dependent on the speed itself. The force of Earth also keeps objects on the ground, with a balance of the weight of the object and the normal force.
Hepic
If we let a thing from a height,earth force that with F=m*a=m*g=B(weight).
BUT What is the power of earth,when the thing goes down(the power that force the thing at Earth too).I mean the different power,that keeps that in the ground. Logically the force of earth,is about the speed of thing,but what is the law?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if I understand your question.

If you drop something it will accelerate towards the ground with a = g.

When it hits the ground it will penetrate a distance "s". You could calculate the acceleration (deceleration) that occurs when it hits the ground using a SUVAT equation such as..

V2 = U2 +2as

where

V is the final velocity = 0
U is the initial velocity (eg at impact with the ground)
S is the stopping distance (the distance it penetrates the ground)
a is the acceleration.

Then solve for "a"

More here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion

If you want to know the average force during the impact you could apply F=ma.

Hi Hepic! :wink:

I'll just add this to what CWatters :smile: has said …
Hepic said:
Logically the force of earth,is about the speed of thing,but what is the law?

No, force is about change of speed …

the same force (applied for the same time) will increase the speed from 0 to 1, or from 100 to 101.

So the force is the same for a moving thing as for a stationary thing.

(and of course when something is on the ground, there are two forces on it, the weight mg down and the normal force mg up … so the total force is 0, and the change in speed is 0!)

Hepic said:
If we let a thing from a height,earth force that with F=m*a=m*g=B(weight).
BUT What is the power of earth,when the thing goes down(the power that force the thing at Earth too).I mean the different power,that keeps that in the ground. Logically the force of earth,is about the speed of thing,but what is the law?

Thank you!
I too didn't understand your question.
The force of Earth you are talking about is Gravity.Gravity exists between all masses and is given by the formula:

##F=\frac{Gm1m2}{r2}##http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitation

Last edited:
hi adjacent! :smile:
adjacent said:
##F=\frac{Gm1m2}{r2}##

you can't use the SUB tags inside latex! :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi adjacent! :smile:

you can't use the SUB tags inside latex! :wink:
Then how do I write that equation?

EDIT:test,
##F=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2}##

Last edited:
F=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2} …

##F=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2}## :wink:

Likes 1 person

1. What is the force of Earth on falling objects?

The force of Earth on falling objects is known as the force of gravity. It is a natural force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth.

2. How does the force of Earth on falling objects affect their motion?

The force of gravity causes falling objects to accelerate towards the ground at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared. This means that their speed increases by 9.8 meters per second for every second they fall.

3. What factors can affect the force of Earth on falling objects?

The force of gravity can be affected by the mass and distance between the falling object and the Earth. Objects with larger masses will experience a greater force of gravity, while objects that are farther from the Earth will experience a weaker force of gravity.

4. How does the force of Earth on falling objects differ on different planets?

The force of gravity on a falling object will differ on different planets due to variations in their mass and size. For example, the force of gravity on a falling object on Mars is about 38% of the force on Earth, while the force of gravity on a falling object on the Moon is about 17% of the force on Earth.

5. Can the force of Earth on falling objects be measured?

Yes, the force of gravity can be measured using tools such as a spring scale or a balance. These tools can measure the weight of an object, which is directly related to the force of gravity on that object.