Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power of roll forming machine

1. Feb 7, 2017 #1
    How to calculate power of roll forming machine? Is there any theory for calculation?

Actually i am designing 10 step roll forming machine, But confuse about power calculation....

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2017 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Power required will be proportional to the speed of processing. There will be frictional losses.
    When you bend sheet metal you must first invest energy to take it to the yield point.
    Then during the plastic deformation phase, the force multiplied by distance of movement gives energy cost of the bend.
    After each roller stage you might be able to retain or recover some of the elastic energy that was invested earlier while reaching the yield point.

4. Feb 7, 2017 #3
    Is their is mathematical formula for whole process.....?

5. Feb 7, 2017 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Not that I know.
    If you know the force or torque required to bend a set length of the material through a set angle, you can then work out the approximate forming energy per unit length. To do that you must find the total angle in degrees of all the bends in the final section.

6. Feb 7, 2017 #5
    I know some formula of bhattacharya...but not knowing exactly how to calculate final power by considering all roller.

7. Feb 7, 2017 #6

Baluncore

Science Advisor

1. What is the sheet material, steel, aluminium ?
    2. What is thickness of the material ?
    3. Please give a section profile of the rolled product ?
    4. What "formula of bhattacharya" do you have ?

8. Feb 7, 2017 #7
    1. steel with Yield strength - 250 Mpa & Tensile Strength - 410 Mpa
    2. Thickness of material - 2 mm
    3. C purline section. refer below image for same. where H = 70 mm, B = 40 mm, C = 15 mm
    https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi1zZ3xy__RAhVC0oMKHWXTAPoQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fliancheng.e.tradeee.com%2Fproduct_view%2F52115198%2FC_Purlin__Z_Purlin.html&bvm=bv.146094739,d.amc&psig=AFQjCNFB_cZ6wfFNDbFktkEpgyEwPbvRXg&ust=1486612085559330
    4. I am referring this book "D. Bhattacharyya, P.D. Smith, The Development of Longitudinal Strain in Cold Roll Forming and its influence of Product Straightness, Advanced Tech. of Plastictiy, Vol. 1, 1984"

9. Feb 7, 2017 #8
    The equations for roll forming are covered in textbooks like Groover's Introduction to Manufacturing Processes or Kalpakjian's Manufacturing Engineering and Technology.

10. Feb 7, 2017 #9
    Do you have web link for this book then please share with me....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted