Comparing Light Intensity: 100W Bulb to Sunlight

In summary, the conversation discussed a lab experiment comparing the light intensity of a 100W light bulb to that of the sun by measuring the radiating heat on the cheeks. The calculated intensity from the bulb was found to be similar to that of the sun, with a slight difference due to the sun's power being lost while radiating in all directions and encountering obstacles. The conversation also mentioned the correct equation for calculating intensity and the difference between lux and watts per square meter.
shanie

Homework Statement

I'm carrying out a lab to investigate the power of the sun. I'm supposed to compare the light intensity of a 100W light bulb with the light intensity from the sun, by comparing the radiating heat on my cheeks (one cheek pointing to the sun, the other to the bulb). I found that the bulb had the same intensity as the sun from a distance of 0.1 m.

Homework Equations

A =4πr^2
IA=P

The Attempt at a Solution

area of
A=4πr2=0.126 m^2 from the bulb
with the effect 100W, gives the intensity,

I=P/A=100/0.126=795.8 lx

Which means that this is the intensity that radiates from the sun. Calculating the area for the sun, using the average measurement of 1.496*10^11 m from the Earth to the Sun:

A=4πr2=2.827*1023 m2
IA=P=795.8lx *2.827*1023 m2≈2.25*1026W=225 YW (yottawatt, SI)
Compared to the literary value 391 YW.

Is this calculation correct? And also, I explained the significant error between the theoretical value and the practical one by mentioning the fact that a lot of the sun's power is lost as it radiates in all directions and meets obstacles on its way to the Earth. In addition to the fact that the bulb probably doesn't give 100W in practice, but a lot less. Are these conclusions correct? I could really use some assistance, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First lux is not W/m^2 it's lumens/m^2 , but that's not important - the method is correct.
The usual value for the sun's irradiance at Earth is around 1200w/m^2 at noon so 800 isn't too far out.

shanie said:
area of
A=4πr2=0.126 m^2 from the bulb
with the effect 100W, gives the intensity,

I=P/A=100/0.126=795.8 lx

Which means that this is the intensity that radiates from the sun. Calculating the area for the sun, using the average measurement of 1.496*10^11 m from the Earth to the Sun:

A=4πr2=2.827*1023 m2
IA=P=795.8lx *2.827*1023 m2≈2.25*1026W=225 YW (yottawatt, SI)
Compared to the literary value 391 YW.

You might want to explain the error difference - i.e. how much measurement difference in your cheek from the bulb the resulting difference between published and calculated might be. (Simply reverse calculate using the published to determine what value would have yielded the correct answer. Is that distance then reasonable from your method?)

Thank you! :)

1. How does the intensity of a 100W bulb compare to sunlight?

The intensity of a 100W bulb is significantly lower than that of sunlight. Sunlight has an intensity of approximately 1000 watts per square meter, while a 100W bulb only has an intensity of 100 watts per square meter.

2. Why is sunlight more intense than a 100W bulb?

This is because sunlight is a natural source of light that is created through nuclear fusion reactions in the Sun's core. On the other hand, a 100W bulb is an artificial source of light that uses electricity to produce light, which is a less efficient process.

3. Can a 100W bulb be used as a substitute for sunlight in certain situations?

It depends on the specific situation. While a 100W bulb may be able to provide a similar level of brightness to an area, it cannot replicate the full spectrum of light that sunlight provides. Sunlight contains all the colors of the rainbow, while a 100W bulb may have a limited range of colors.

4. Is the intensity of sunlight consistent throughout the day?

No, the intensity of sunlight varies throughout the day depending on the position of the Sun in the sky. For example, sunlight is more intense at noon when the Sun is directly overhead, and less intense during sunrise and sunset when the Sun is at a lower angle.

5. Can the intensity of a 100W bulb be increased to match that of sunlight?

No, the intensity of a 100W bulb is limited by its wattage and design. It is not possible to increase its intensity to match that of sunlight. However, there are other types of artificial light sources, such as high-intensity discharge lamps, that can produce a similar level of intensity to sunlight.