1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power of two lenses

1. Sep 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Design a thin-lens telephoto lens with a back focal distance of 50 mm and an effective focal length of 200 mm, and a maximum system length (distance between first lens and image) of 100 mm. Find the power of each of the two lenses. (Lenses are in air.)

2. Relevant equations

Power, K = 1/(focal length, f)
    Max system length = d + l', where d is the distance between the two lenses and l' is the distance from the second lens to the image. (This is not an equation I "know" - I came up with it myself, so it could be faulty.)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know of only two equations with the effective focal length - one comes from constructing the system vertex matrix (AKA ABCD), and the other comes from doing a paraxial ray tracing (AKA YNU). However, I don't believe I have enough information to use either method, although - making a guess - I would say that I would use the vertex matrix method. There are more equations for that, which I've attached in an image.

Using the given effective focal length and the BFD, I could find the Av element of the matrix. But with both d and l' unknown, I don't know how I could use that to solve for either K.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted