Power Needed to Maintain Speed on Slope

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power needed to maintain a vehicle's speed on different slopes. The formula for calculating power needed to maintain a given speed is shared, along with the suggestion to use kilograms instead of pounds for easier equations. It is also mentioned that on a slope, the power needed includes the power to overcome the increase in potential energy. The calculation for power on a 10% slope is given as an example, with no conversion factors necessary when using SI units.
MrDieselT
Im trying to figure out how much power is needed to maintain a vehicles speed on a slope

I found out that my car weighing in at about 2000 lbs needs 15hp to maintain 75 mph on a flat road with no wind. now I'm trying to figure out how to take that and calculate the power needed on a 10% grade and a 20% grade. (more looking for the formula than the answer)

I know that a 10% grade = 5.7° and 20% = 11.3°
tan-1(grade)=degrees

The formula I used to find power needed to maintain a given speed works by taking the time it takes to slow a car from one speed to another in neutral (80mph to 70mph) gives me the hp needed to maintain 75 mph.

Heres the formula I developed a few years back and has been surpassingly accurate as it account for most all the losses in the tires and drive line rear of the transmission.

( [-6*10-5]*m*[Vi+Vf]*[Vf-Vi) )/t = hp

m = mass in lbs
Vi = Initial Velocity (mph)
Vf = Final Velocity (mph)
t = time (sec)

Now, how do I apply a slope to this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of using lbs to measure weight, try using Kgs, it makes equations like that a lot easier. For example, you want to work out acceleration and the formula for that is end velocity - start velocity / time. So all you do is take how fast the object (car) was going before it started accelerating (70mph) and subtract how fast the car was going after it completed the acceleration (80mph). Then divide that by the time it took to complete the acceleration. The only problem is instead of mph, you need to measure velocity in m/s. So the steeper the slope is, the longer it's going take to complete the acceleration, therefore the acceleration is larger because there's more work (force x distance). And use Newtons instead of horsepower.

MrDieselT said:
I found out that my car weighing in at about 2000 lbs needs 15hp to maintain 75 mph on a flat road with no wind.
Great, 3 units with messy conversion factors ;).

For a slope, you need the same power as on a flat road (air resistance is the same, rolling resistance is nearly the same), and in addition you need power to increase the potential energy: The car gains height with a rate of sin(α)*v against a force of m*g, this gives sin(α)*v*m*g as additional power.

And here is the power of (and in ;)) SI units: With m=1000kg, v=20m/s, sin(α)=0.10 (for 5.7°) and g≈10m/s^2, the required power is 0.10*1000kg*20m/s*10m/s^2 = 20000kg m^2/s^2 = 20kW (plus the power required on a flat road)
No conversion factors required.

Last edited:

1. What is the "Power Needed to Maintain Speed on Slope"?

The "Power Needed to Maintain Speed on Slope" refers to the amount of energy required to keep an object moving at a constant speed while traveling up or down a slope. This can be calculated using various physical equations, taking into account factors such as the slope angle, mass of the object, and friction.

2. How does the slope angle affect the power needed to maintain speed?

The steeper the slope angle, the more power is needed to maintain speed. This is because the steeper the slope, the greater the force of gravity pulling the object downhill, and thus, more energy is required to counteract this force and keep the object moving at a constant speed.

3. Does the mass of the object affect the power needed to maintain speed on a slope?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect the power needed to maintain speed on a slope. The greater the mass of the object, the more energy is required to overcome its inertia and keep it moving at a constant speed. This means that a heavier object will require more power to maintain the same speed on a slope compared to a lighter object.

4. How does friction impact the power needed to maintain speed on a slope?

Friction plays a significant role in determining the power needed to maintain speed on a slope. Friction is a resistance force that opposes motion and can slow down an object's speed. Therefore, the higher the friction between the object and the slope, the more power is needed to overcome this resistance and maintain a constant speed.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the power needed to maintain speed on a slope?

Yes, understanding the power needed to maintain speed on a slope has practical applications in various fields such as transportation, sports, and engineering. For example, in transportation, knowing the power needed to maintain speed on a slope can help determine the fuel efficiency of vehicles traveling on hilly roads. In sports, it can help athletes strategize for races or competitions that involve inclines. In engineering, it can aid in the design and construction of structures such as roads, bridges, and roller coasters.