Calculating Power for Elevator Ascent: 2100 N at 8.0 m/s

In summary, an elevator weighing 2100 N ascends at a constant speed of 8.0 m/s. The power required to do this is 1713.6 Watts.
onestarburns

Homework Statement

An elevator weighing 2100 N ascends at a constant speed of 8.0 m/s. How much power must the motor supply to do this?

Homework Equations

P = Fv

The Attempt at a Solution

F = 2100 N
V = 8 m/s
P = (2100) * (8) = 16800

in significant figures that's 1.7 x 10^4 w
in kilowatts that's 17
why is this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello onestarburns,

2100 N = 214.2 kg

F = m*a = 214.2kg * 8m/s^2 = 1713.6 N

W = F*change in dis. = 1713.6N * 8m = 13,708.8 J

P = W/change in time = 13,708.8N/1s = 13,708.8Watts
or
P = Fv = 1713.6N * 8m/s = 13,708.8 Watts

I believe this is correct.
If the elevator 'weighs' 2100 N than its mass is 214.2 kg.
So the force it takes to move this mass 8meters in one second every second is: 1713.6 N
The work that you accomplish by applying 1713.6N of force over 8meters is: 13,708.8 N*m

I am assuming that the question is asking for the work output per second. However if the question elaborates more than what you have given the answer could be different.
So the power required to do this amount of work in one second is: 13,708.8 J*s

that doesn't work either
the answer is asked for in 2 s.ds and in KW, so i assumed that would be 14, but that's not working

Well personally i hate significant figures so i can't help you there. And without more information in the question i don't really know what else can be done. Let me know if I am missing something obvious here. sorry i couldn't be of more help.:frown:

Your answer of 16800 W seems correct to me.

------------------------------

Hi robertm,

There is an error in your second equation. The elevator is moving at constant speed so a=0.

thanks alphysicist that's why i was confused. It looked as if the op's first answer was correct so i assumed the question contained additional info that was missing in the post.

What does "Power to Elevator: 17 kW" mean?

"Power to Elevator: 17 kW" refers to the amount of electrical power required to operate the elevator. Specifically, it indicates that the elevator uses 17 kilowatts of power at any given time.

How is the power to elevator measured?

The power to elevator is measured in kilowatts (kW), which is a unit of electrical power equal to 1000 watts. This measurement is commonly used for large appliances and machinery, such as elevators.

Is 17 kW a high or low amount of power for an elevator?

It depends on the type and size of the elevator. Generally, 17 kW is considered a moderate amount of power for an elevator. However, newer and more efficient elevators may require less power, while older or larger elevators may require more.

What factors affect the power needed for an elevator?

The power required for an elevator depends on several factors, including the weight capacity, speed, and height of the elevator. Additionally, the type and age of the elevator's motor and control system can also impact the power usage.

How does the power to elevator impact energy efficiency?

The power required for an elevator can greatly impact its energy efficiency. A higher power usage means the elevator is consuming more electricity, which can lead to higher energy costs and a larger carbon footprint. Therefore, it is important for elevators to be designed and operated with energy efficiency in mind.