Power output of a theoretical generator

In summary: Yes, but how do you work out the voltage and current? I can't measure it if it isn't real.Yes, but how do you work out the voltage and current? I can't measure it if it isn't real.I don't understand, why isn’t voltage and current real. voltage and current are real, but they are not measured in the same way that electrical power is measured. Voltage is the potential difference between points, and current is the quantity of electricity that flows between those points in a specific direction over a specific time.I don't know if this helps you, but 1 Horsepower is about 746 Watts, and most generators are about 90-95% efficient. So, a 10 HP generator will
topcatthomas
so, assuming that you know all of the aspects of your theoretical generator, apart from the voltage and current, how would you work it out. I know that it is possible, but i can't find anything that I understand, or is even valid online. There should be some equations i can use to work it all out, so what are those?
Thanks.
please could you use word equations as I may not know what the symbols mean.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The power output of a generator, in a "wordy equation" would simply be:
Power equals Voltage times Amperes.

Or are you asking what the maximum power output would be?

OmCheeto said:
The power output of a generator, in a "wordy equation" would simply be:
Power equals Voltage times Amperes.

Or are you asking what the maximum power output would be?
Yes, but how do you work out the voltage and current? I can't measure it if it isn't real.

topcatthomas said:
Yes, but how do you work out the voltage and current? I can't measure it if it isn't real.
I don’t understand, why isn’t voltage and current real.

topcatthomas said:
Yes, but how do you work out the voltage and current? ...
Voltage is equal to the rate of change of a magnetic field. Typically in the presence of a conductor, from what I hear.

topcatthomas said:
so, assuming that you know all of the aspects of your theoretical generator, apart from the voltage and current, how would you work it out. I know that it is possible, but i can't find anything that I understand, or is even valid online. There should be some equations i can use to work it all out, so what are those?
Thanks.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you say what your application is? It's a bit hard to help you without knowing more. Especially if you want the description without any equations -- that is especially challenging, but we will try out best if you can tell us more about what you are trying to do.

Even without your background, I can tell you that the current depends on the load, not the generator. Zero load zero current.

topcatthomas said:
Also, are you comfortable with basic equations like Ohm's law: V = I * R and the definition of electrical power, P = V * I ? That would be a big help if you are okay with those basic equations. :smile:

Likes Nik_2213
Don’t know if this helps you, but 1 Horsepower is about 746 Watts, and most generators are about 90-95% efficient. So, a 10 HP generator will probably give you about 7 KW. Is that what you were asking?

The output voltage depends on the type and design of the generator. Things like the number of turns in the windings, the flux density and the rpm.

The current drawn depends on the load connected to the generator. What you probably want to know is the maximum current that the load can be allowed to draw. Fundamentally that is limited by the power input to the generator, the voltage and the efficiency of the generator. Practically it depends on the design of the generator.

What type of generator are you talking about?

CWatters said:
What type of generator are you talking about?
a fictitious one

topcatthomas said:
so, assuming that you know all of the aspects of your theoretical generator,

topcatthomas said:
...assuming that you know all of the aspects of your theoretical generator, apart from the voltage and current, how would you work it out?
You would calculate the back EMF constant (Kω) of the generator. The no-load output voltage is then equal to x field flux x generator speed.

Likes Tom.G
The current capacity of a generator depends on how quickly the armature can dissipate heat. The rate at which heat is produced = current2 x armature resistance. The maximum current output that still permits reasonable lifespan is estimated by the design engineer based on experience and then verified with lab testing.

Likes Dale

1. What is the definition of power output?

The power output of a generator refers to the amount of energy that can be produced by the generator in a given time period. It is typically measured in watts or kilowatts.

2. How is the power output of a theoretical generator calculated?

The power output of a theoretical generator is calculated by multiplying the voltage and current produced by the generator. This can be calculated using the formula P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps.

3. What factors affect the power output of a theoretical generator?

The power output of a theoretical generator can be affected by various factors such as the type and quality of the materials used, the design and efficiency of the generator, and the speed at which it is rotating. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the power output.

4. Can the power output of a theoretical generator be increased?

Yes, the power output of a theoretical generator can be increased by improving its design and efficiency, using higher quality materials, and optimizing its operating conditions. However, there are physical limitations to how much the power output can be increased.

5. How does the power output of a theoretical generator compare to a real-world generator?

The power output of a theoretical generator is usually higher than that of a real-world generator due to factors such as friction, resistance, and other inefficiencies in the actual machine. However, with advancements in technology and design, the power output of real-world generators has become increasingly closer to that of theoretical calculations.