1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Output Question

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cyclist coasts down a 7.2 degree hill at a steady speed of 10 km/h. If the total mass of the bike and rider is 75 kg, what power output must the rider have to climb the hill at the same speed?

2. Relevant equations

Power = Energy/Time
    Ek = 1/2mv^2 where m is the mass v is the velocity and Ek is the kinetic energy
    Eg = mgh where m is the mass g is a constant value of 9.8 h is the height above the ground and Eg is the gravitational potential energy.

3. The attempt at a solution

Power = Energy/Time = (Ek + Eg)/Time = [1/2(75)(2.777)^2 + (75)(9.8)(2.7sin7.2)]/1 = 522 Watts

Apparently the answer is 511 Watts. Can someone please tell me where i went wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

I don't like Power = Energy/time. Power is the rate of expending energy → a change in energy not the energy itself

I would be calculating using power = Force x velocity.

On the way down the hill, clearly the component of weight "driving" the cyclist down the hill is matched by friction - so acceleration is zero - the cyclist travels at constant speed.

On the way up the hill, the cyclist will have to create a driving force to over come each of those - his driving force has to match both friction and weight component.

Force x speed = power.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook