1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power output

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 580w heater is designed for use in Germany, where electric outlets supply 230V(rms) service. What is the power output of the heater when plugged into a 120V(rms) outlet in the U.S.? Ignore the effects of temperature on the heater's resistance.

2. Relevant equations

barP=I(rms)V(rms)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to fine I(rms) by first calculating for I in germany: I(rms)=(580w)/(230V).
    Then I used this I(rms) to calaulate U.S. power output; barP=(I(rms))(120V).
    This did not give the correct answer.
    Would I have to consider that germany uses DC and U.S. uses AC, is there a conversion for this?
    Thanks
    jdoggigs

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Irms will be different in the US than it is in Germany. However, one out of the 4 usual variables will be the same. Question for you: which one?

(The 4 usual variables are V, I, R, and P.)

4. Feb 21, 2010 #3
    Btw, Germany does use AC. No country (as far as I know) uses DC as mains.

5. Feb 22, 2010 #4
    Irms is what I need to find th US power outout, I have no resistance, P is the answer I'm
    looking for, so voltage is the same. I'm lost here how does this help?
    I assumed that Europe used DC because You need different plugs there.

6. Feb 22, 2010 #5
    Okay after some consideration of the question asked, I figured it out.
    Thanks for all the help'

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook