Calculating Power Output of a 580W Heater in the US

In summary, the power output of a 580w heater when plugged into a 120V(rms) outlet in the U.S. is not the same as the power output in Germany due to differences in the root mean square current (Irms). However, one of the four usual variables (voltage) remains the same. The correct calculation for the U.S. power output is barP = (I(rms))*(120V). Note that Europe also uses AC for mains, not DC.
jdoggigs

Homework Statement

A 580w heater is designed for use in Germany, where electric outlets supply 230V(rms) service. What is the power output of the heater when plugged into a 120V(rms) outlet in the U.S.? Ignore the effects of temperature on the heater's resistance.

Homework Equations

barP=I(rms)V(rms)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to fine I(rms) by first calculating for I in germany: I(rms)=(580w)/(230V).
Then I used this I(rms) to calaulate U.S. power output; barP=(I(rms))(120V).
This did not give the correct answer.
Would I have to consider that germany uses DC and U.S. uses AC, is there a conversion for this?
Thanks
jdoggigs

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Irms will be different in the US than it is in Germany. However, one out of the 4 usual variables will be the same. Question for you: which one?

(The 4 usual variables are V, I, R, and P.)

jdoggigs said:

Homework Statement

A 580w heater is designed for use in Germany, where electric outlets supply 230V(rms) service. What is the power output of the heater when plugged into a 120V(rms) outlet in the U.S.? Ignore the effects of temperature on the heater's resistance.

Homework Equations

barP=I(rms)V(rms)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to fine I(rms) by first calculating for I in germany: I(rms)=(580w)/(230V).
Then I used this I(rms) to calaulate U.S. power output; barP=(I(rms))(120V).
This did not give the correct answer.
Would I have to consider that germany uses DC and U.S. uses AC, is there a conversion for this?
Thanks
jdoggigs

Btw, Germany does use AC. No country (as far as I know) uses DC as mains.

Irms is what I need to find th US power outout, I have no resistance, P is the answer I'm
looking for, so voltage is the same. I'm lost here how does this help?
I assumed that Europe used DC because You need different plugs there.

Okay after some consideration of the question asked, I figured it out.
Thanks for all the help'

1. How do you calculate the power output of a 580W heater?

The power output of a 580W heater can be calculated by multiplying the voltage (in volts) by the current (in amps) that the heater uses. This can be written as P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps.

2. What is the power output of a 580W heater in horsepower?

To convert watts to horsepower, you can use the conversion factor 1 horsepower = 746 watts. Therefore, the power output of a 580W heater would be approximately 0.776 horsepower (580W / 746 = 0.776 hp).

3. Is a 580W heater considered energy efficient?

The energy efficiency of a heater depends on various factors such as its size, type, and usage. However, in general, a 580W heater would be considered relatively energy efficient as it consumes less power compared to higher wattage heaters.

4. Can a 580W heater be used in the US?

Yes, a 580W heater can be used in the US as it falls within the standard voltage range of 110-120 volts used in most US households. However, it is always recommended to check the voltage and wattage requirements of the specific heater before use.

5. How much electricity does a 580W heater consume in an hour?

The amount of electricity consumed by a 580W heater in an hour can be calculated by multiplying the power (in kW) by the time (in hours). This can be written as E = P x t, where E is energy in kilowatt-hours, P is power in kilowatts, and t is time in hours. Therefore, a 580W heater would consume 0.58 kilowatt-hours in an hour (580W / 1000 = 0.58 kWh).