Calculating Engine Power Output for 4000kg Car

In summary, the conversation is about finding the power output of an engine for a car of 4000kg traveling at a constant speed of 10m/s with a frictional force of 400N. The solution involves using Newton's second law and the equation P=Fv. It is important to carefully read the question and understand all given information before attempting to solve it. Practice and using helpful resources such as PDF books can also improve understanding and problem-solving skills.
AllenHe

Homework Statement

In order for a car of 4000kg to travel at 10m/s with a frictional force of 400N, find the power output of the engine.

Homework Equations

P=Fv

The Attempt at a Solution

I found
40000*10+400*10=400400W,
is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
AllenHe said:

Homework Statement

In order for a car of 4000kg to travel at 10m/s with a frictional force of 400N, find the power output of the engine.

Homework Equations

P=Fv

The Attempt at a Solution

I found
40000*10+400*10=400400W,
is this right?

No, not really.

For the car to be traveling at a constant speed, Newton's second law says that the net force on it must be 0. We know that there are two forces acting on the car: the friction force and the force from the engine. For the net force to be 0, these two must balance each other out. That tells you what the applied force from the engine must be. You can then use that applied force in the equation you posted above in order to determine the engine's power.

oh. SO it's 4000N?
But what if the question did not state whether the car started from rest or with an initial velocity of 10m/s?

AllenHe said:
oh. SO it's 4000N?

No, it's not 4000 N. Write the force balance equation for the horizontal direction:

sum of forces in horizontal direction = 0

and use this equation to solve for the applied force from the engine.

But what if the question did not state whether the car started from rest or with an initial velocity of 10m/s?

The initial condition is irrelevant here. You're told that, right now the car is moving at a constant rate of 10 m/s. This, along with the applied force, is enough info to determine the power output right now.

oh.. mistake I wanted to type 4000w.
do you have any pdf book which can help me at as level?
Sometimes I just use the formula to answer the question, without looking at the question carefully?Do you have any tips?

What is the formula for calculating engine power output for a 4000kg car?

The formula for calculating engine power output is Power = Force x Velocity. This means that the power output is directly proportional to the force applied and the velocity at which it is applied.

How do I determine the force and velocity for a 4000kg car?

The force can be determined by multiplying the mass of the car (4000kg) by its acceleration. The velocity can be measured using a speedometer or by calculating the distance traveled over a certain amount of time.

What units should I use for calculating engine power output?

The units for engine power output are typically measured in horsepower (hp) or kilowatts (kW). It is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation to ensure accuracy.

Do I need to consider other factors when calculating engine power output for a 4000kg car?

Yes, other factors such as friction, aerodynamics, and efficiency should be taken into account when calculating engine power output. These factors can affect the overall performance and power output of the engine.

How can I increase the engine power output for a 4000kg car?

Increasing the engine size, improving air intake and exhaust systems, and using high-performance fuel can all contribute to increasing the engine power output for a 4000kg car. However, it is important to consider the safety and legal limitations when making modifications to a car's engine.