Calculating Water Evaporation in a Power Plant with Waste Heat Loss

• Thread starter gsxrK3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the amount of water evaporated per day in an 800-MW electric power plant with an efficiency of 30%. The solution involves using equations to find the waste heat, latent heat of water, and ultimately determining that 71,363.72 tons of water are evaporated per day. One of the participants also mentions their profession and preference for using GigaJoules as a unit of measurement.
gsxrK3

Homework Statement

An 800-MW electric power plant has an efficiency of 30%. It loses its waste heat in large cooling towers by evaporating a fine mist of water. If all waste heat went only into the evaporation of water, how many tons of water would be evaporated per day?

Homework Equations

W = |Qh|-|Qc|
e = 1 - (|Qc|/|Qh|)
Q = mL
Lwater = 2.26x10^6 J/kg

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to get any of the answers listed and I can't quite figure out what to do. Here's what I tried.

W = 800MW
e = .30
Solving for |Qc| and |Qh| I got, |Qc| = 1866.69 MW, or 1866.69x10^6 J/s, |Qh| = 2666.67 MW
Since the wasted heat going to the cold reservoir is what is evaporating the water I plugged |Qc|= 1866.69x10^6 J/s into the Q for the equation Q = mL, so |Qc| = mL. L is the latent heat of water. Solving for m I got m = 825.97 kg/s. Since it's per day, I multiply m by 86400seconds and get 71,363.72 tons of water per day.

Would anybody like to take a crack at it and help me out? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
gsxrK3,

Your solution seem correct to me.
I got a waste heat of 161280 GJ/day.
I like GigaJoules units because of my profession.
For the same reason I remember that the heat of evaporation of water is about 2.25 GJ/ton.
Therefore, your 71 ktons are ok.

Note that the latent heat depends of the water and vapor temperature.
But for the purpose here, it's fine.

Quite a lot of water, isn't it?

Last edited:
Yeah that is a ton of water, I mean a lot. :biggrin: Much thanks for the reply. May I ask what it is you do?

What is a power plant/heat problem?

A power plant/heat problem refers to any issue or malfunction that affects the efficiency or reliability of a power plant, which generates electricity using heat energy. These problems can range from minor equipment failures to major breakdowns that result in power outages.

What causes power plant/heat problems?

Power plant/heat problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including mechanical failures, human error, natural disasters, and aging equipment. Inefficient design or maintenance practices can also contribute to these problems.

How are power plant/heat problems diagnosed?

Power plant/heat problems are typically diagnosed through a combination of data analysis, physical inspections, and troubleshooting techniques. This may involve monitoring equipment performance, conducting tests and measurements, and identifying potential sources of failure.

What are the consequences of power plant/heat problems?

The consequences of power plant/heat problems can vary depending on the severity and duration of the issue. In some cases, it may lead to power outages and disruptions in electricity supply, which can have significant economic and social impacts. It can also result in increased costs for repairs and maintenance, as well as potential safety hazards for workers and the surrounding community.

How can power plant/heat problems be prevented?

To prevent power plant/heat problems, it is essential to implement regular maintenance and monitoring practices. This includes conducting inspections, performing necessary repairs and replacements, and implementing safety protocols. Additionally, investing in advanced technology and equipment can also help prevent and detect potential problems before they escalate.