1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Plant/Heat Problem

1. May 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An 800-MW electric power plant has an efficiency of 30%. It loses its waste heat in large cooling towers by evaporating a fine mist of water. If all waste heat went only into the evaporation of water, how many tons of water would be evaporated per day?

2. Relevant equations

W = |Qh|-|Qc|
    e = 1 - (|Qc|/|Qh|)
    Q = mL
    Lwater = 2.26x10^6 J/kg

3. The attempt at a solution

I can't seem to get any of the answers listed and I can't quite figure out what to do. Here's what I tried.

W = 800MW
    e = .30
    Solving for |Qc| and |Qh| I got, |Qc| = 1866.69 MW, or 1866.69x10^6 J/s, |Qh| = 2666.67 MW
    Since the wasted heat going to the cold reservoir is what is evaporating the water I plugged |Qc|= 1866.69x10^6 J/s into the Q for the equation Q = mL, so |Qc| = mL. L is the latent heat of water. Solving for m I got m = 825.97 kg/s. Since it's per day, I multiply m by 86400seconds and get 71,363.72 tons of water per day.

Would anybody like to take a crack at it and help me out? Thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2007 #2
    gsxrK3,

Your solution seem correct to me.
    I got a waste heat of 161280 GJ/day.
    I like GigaJoules units because of my profession.
    For the same reason I remember that the heat of evaporation of water is about 2.25 GJ/ton.
    Therefore, your 71 ktons are ok.

Note that the latent heat depends of the water and vapor temperature.
    But for the purpose here, it's fine.

Quite a lot of water, isn't it?

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  4. May 30, 2007 #3
    Yeah that is a ton of water, I mean a lot. :biggrin: Much thanks for the reply. May I ask what it is you do?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?