1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power plant

1. May 21, 2009 #1
    Asmall power plant produces a voltage of 6.0kV and a current of 150A. The voltage is stepped up to 240kV by a transformer before being sent to a substation. The resistance of the transmission line between the power plant and the substation is 75 ohm. How much is the current flowing in the transmission line?

I(p)/I(s)= V(s)/V(p) s= stationary P= primary
    V= IR

I(p) = 150 , V(p) = 6.0kV , V(s) = 240kV , I(s) = ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Plug in the numbers and solve. V = IR is not needed here.

4. May 22, 2009 #3
    oh, why?
    I don't know why V = IR is not needed here?

5. May 22, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It occurred to me (after discussing this with somebody else) that I may not understand the layout here.

Perhaps you have a figure you can look at to answer this question: is the 75 ohm line in between the power plant and the transformer, or is it between the transformer and the substation?

6. May 23, 2009 #5
    I think it is between the transformer and the substation.

7. May 23, 2009 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In that case, the 75Ω will affect the voltage at the substation, but not at the transformer. It is irrelevant here.

I'm not sure why they included that information, maybe just to throw you off?

Last edited: May 23, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook