1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power problem!

1. Dec 3, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Power problem!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) How many joules of electrical energy are used by a 1650-W hair dryer in 10 min? (b) If the dryer is operated a total of 4.5 h during one month, how much will this contribute to the electrical bill if the billing rate is 12 cents/kWh?

2. Relevant equations

P=[tex]\frac{w}{t}[/tex] --> w=Pt

3. The attempt at a solution

(a) w=Pt -> (1650)(10)= 16500 J

I figured since the answer was supposed to be in Joules, I would use the equation w=Pt to figure out the amount but I ended up getting the wrong answer. The correct answer is 9.9 x [tex]10^{5}[/tex].

(b) Since I didn't get the right answer for (a) I knew my answer wouldn't be right here either. I don't really know how to solve this question either but I figured I should convert the 4.5 h into minutes so it matches the amount for part (a)..so I got 190 minutes, and that's pretty much it.

Please help, we didn't get any notes to refer to for this homework and it is our first day learning about Power. :confused:
    Thanks so much.:smile:
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

For part (a): since 1 Watt = 1 Joule/second, you need to change the 10 minutes into seconds to keep your units consistent.
  4. Dec 3, 2007 #3
    ok thanks...i got part a! now im just workin on b...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?