1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power problem

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1
    Hi, Ive been trying to complete this question for almost an hour, i was hoping you could provide some advice

At a certain instant, a particle-like object is acted on by a force F = (5.0 N) i hat - (1.0 N) j hat + (10.0 N) k hat while the object's velocity is v = - (2.0 m/s) i hat + (4.0 m/s) k hat. 1)What is the instantaneous rate at which the force does work on the object?

2)At some other time, the velocity consists of only a j component. If the force is unchanged, and the instantaneous power is -12 W, what is the velocity of the object just then?

I tried taking the dot product of the force and velocity, making sure i only multiplied the like terms of the unit vectors. then i took the hypotenuse using pythagoras, but the answer i get is 41.2 Watts and its not right? please could someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

1) Taking the dot product is enough. I didn't quite understand what you have done after that.

2) Suppose the velo is v = vj. Find F.v and equate it to the instantaneous power given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?