1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power question

1. Jun 17, 2005 #1
    Question:
    How much power does a light bulb connected to a 120-V outlet use if it draws .5A of current?
    My answer is:
    P=1.V
    =.5 x 120
    =60Watts
    Does that look correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. I think you meant P = IV

AM

4. Jun 17, 2005 #3

mezarashi

Homework Helper

As your output uses Alternating Current. Just make sure that the values for voltage and current you have there are RMS (root mean square). The definition for real power is the integral of the dot product of voltage and current over time. RMS simplifies this however. By dividing the peak values by square root two, you can do simple multiplication and the equation P = IV still applies.

Nonetheless, I am happy to say that the 120-V rating in most European/North American homes is the RMS value.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  5. Jun 17, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't say about alternating current.

Daniel.

6. Jun 17, 2005 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I can't say I know of many 120VDC outlets around...

7. Jun 17, 2005 #6
    If you are dealing with alternating currents the equation becomes:

P = I.V.cos(h)

Where h is the phase shift between the graph of voltage and of current.

-NewScientist

8. Jun 17, 2005 #7

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a 0 phase shift between voltage and the current passing through a light bulb, which is resistance with virtually 0 reactance.

AM

9. Jun 17, 2005 #8
    Exactly, but there is not always 0 phase shift, that is why in that case cos (h)=1 as h = 0. Therefore the result can be simplified to IV.

In some cases cos(h) is not 1 as the phase shift is not 0 and so this ter mis useful.

-NewScientist

10. Jun 18, 2005 #9

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the light bulb, which is a pure resistor, is drawing .5 amps (RMS) with 120 volts (RMS) across it, it is consuming 60 watts of power (RMS). There is always a 0 phase shift if the load, like a light bulb, is a pure resistor.

AM

11. Jun 18, 2005 #10
    I didn't read the specific first post and I saw a couple of bumbling post on P = IV in regards to AC, and so I posted the formula. I was speaking of other examples when I said that the cos(phase shift) was an important term.

Oh and if it were a flourescent lamp it wouldn't be in phase.

-NewScientist

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?