1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power question?

1. Aug 12, 2005 #1
    A 2.0 hp electric motor on a water well pumps water from 10 m below the surface. The density of water is 1.0 kg per liter. How many liters of water does the motor pump in 1 hr?

im not sure what equation to use on this problem, so if anyone could let me know that would be good thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2005 #2
    Power = Energy/Time

Energy = mgh in this case

1 hp = 745.8 Watts
  4. Aug 12, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

A motor is working on increasing the potential energy of water (calculated by PE = mgh) by bringing it up the well 10 meters below. The motor is using 745.8 Joules per second (745.8 Watts). In one hour or 3600 seconds, how many kilograms of water will it be pumping up?

Does that make the question easier?
  5. Aug 12, 2005 #4
    yea i understand the question a tiny bit more, but dont you have to find the volume of water being pumped up?

this is what i got so far but im completely not sure since its 2 hp..

745.8w*2*3600s= is the energy of the motor in 1 hour.
    h= -10 or 10 depending on where u place your axis
    g= 9381

745.8w*2*3600=mgh? is that right?
  6. Aug 12, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

g = 9.79 meters per second per second

And hint about volume. The volume doesn't matter in this energy problem. Just know for later reference that 1000 liters of water = 1000 kg = 1 cubic meter.
  7. Aug 12, 2005 #6
    oo thanks alot i got it now =]
  8. Aug 12, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not 9.81? Where do you live?

Well, volume does matter because the problem asked for volume!
    I presume you meant that since, for water, 1 litre is 1 kg, it's easy to convert.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?