Power rule and product rule problem

In summary, the power rule is used for taking the derivative of a term raised to a power, and involves multiplying the original term by the power, subtracting 1 from the power, and keeping the original base raised to the power. It can be used for both positive and negative exponents, but when the exponent is negative, the term must be rewritten using the negative exponent property. The product rule is used for taking the derivative of two or more terms multiplied together, and involves identifying the terms and their respective derivatives, and plugging them into the formula (f'g + fg'). This rule can also be extended to more than two terms. To determine which rule to use, one should use the power rule for a single term raised
footprints
[tex](2x+3)^3(x-4)[/tex]
How do I differentiate this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the product rule: [itex] vdu + udv [/itex]. For the first function use the power rule: [itex] x^n = nx^{n-1} \frac{du}{dx}=(3(2x+3)^2(2) [/itex]

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks!

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=3(2x+3)^2(2) + 1[/tex]
Right?

No!
You must be more careful!
Define:
[tex]f(x)=(2x+3)^{3},g(x)=(x-4)[/tex]
Then,
[tex]y(x)=f(x)g(x),y'(x)=f'(x)g(x)+f(x)g'(x)[/tex]
You need therefore to calculate f'(x) and g'(x)

I got it! Thank you!

1. How do I apply the power rule to solve a problem?

The power rule is used when taking the derivative of a term raised to a power. To apply the power rule, you must multiply the original term by the power, subtract 1 from the power, and keep the original base raised to the power.

2. Can the power rule be used for both positive and negative exponents?

Yes, the power rule can be used for both positive and negative exponents. When the exponent is negative, you must first rewrite the term using the negative exponent property before applying the power rule.

3. How do I use the product rule to solve a problem?

The product rule is used when taking the derivative of two or more terms multiplied together. To use the product rule, you must first identify the two terms and their respective derivatives, then plug them into the formula: (f'g + fg'). Remember to use the power rule when taking the derivative of each term.

4. Can the product rule be used for more than two terms?

Yes, the product rule can be extended to more than two terms. For example, if you have three terms multiplied together, you would use the formula (f'gh + fgh' + f'g'h). Simply apply the power rule to each term to find its derivative.

5. How do I determine when to use the power rule or the product rule?

You should use the power rule when taking the derivative of a single term raised to a power. You should use the product rule when taking the derivative of two or more terms multiplied together. If you are unsure, you can always try both rules and see which one gives you the correct answer.