Power Rule Proof: Get Help with Line 3 to Line 4

In summary: Finally, the way the problem is written, there is no assurance that n = 5, so you should be able to do this for any n. In particular, with n = i + j, we have##a^{n-1} + a^{n-2}a + \dots + aa^{n-2} + a^{n-1} = a^{i+j-1} + a^{i+j-2}a + \dots + aa^{i+j-2} + a^{i+j-1} = (i+j)a^{i+j-1}##
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Pls see below
Relevant Equations
Pls see below
For this proof,
1677285643462.png

I am unsure how they got from line 3 to line 4.

If I simplify and collect like terms for line 3 I get ##f'(a) = 4a^{n-1}##

Would some please be able to help?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What does ##a^n## mean? It is ##\underbrace{a\cdot a\cdot \ldots\cdot a}_{n\text{ times}}.## Hence for ##n=i+j## we get $$a^n=\underbrace{a\cdot a\cdot \ldots\cdot a}_{n\text{ times}}=\underbrace{a\cdot a\cdot \ldots\cdot a}_{i \text{ times}} \cdot \underbrace{a\cdot a\cdot \ldots\cdot a}_{j\text{ times}}=a^i \cdot a^j =a^{i+j}$$

Likes ChiralSuperfields
fresh_42 said:
What does ##a^n## mean? It is ##\underbrace{a\cdot a\cdot \ldots\cdot a}_{n\text{ times}}.## Hence for ##n=i+j## we get $$a^n=\underbrace{a\cdot a\cdot \ldots\cdot a}_{n\text{ times}}=\underbrace{a\cdot a\cdot \ldots\cdot a}_{i \text{ times}} \cdot \underbrace{a\cdot a\cdot \ldots\cdot a}_{j\text{ times}}=a^i \cdot a^j =a^{i+j}$$
Thank you for your reply @fresh_42!

Did I not add the exponents correctly? For example, ##a^{n-2}a^1 = a^{n-1}##

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
If I simplify and collect like terms for line 3 I get
##f'(a) = 4a^{n-1}##

Would some please be able to help?

Callumnc1 said:
Did I not add the exponents correctly?
That's not at all what you did wrong. You missed the significance of the ... in the first of the expressions you circled.
The expression ##a^{n-1} + a^{n-2}a + \dots + aa^{n-2} + a^{n-1}## does NOT have just four terms in it. The ... in the middle is called an ellipsis, and means "continuing the same pattern." In fact, this pattern indicates that there are n terms in all, thus leading to the conclusion that ##f'(a) = na^{n - 1}##.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Mark44 said:
That's not at all what you did wrong. You missed the significance of the ... in the first of the expressions you circled.
The expression ##a^{n-1} + a^{n-2}a + \dots + aa^{n-2} + a^{n-1}## does NOT have just four terms in it. The ... in the middle is called an ellipsis, and means "continuing the same pattern." In fact, this pattern indicates that there are n terms in all, thus leading to the conclusion that ##f'(a) = na^{n - 1}##.
Thank you for your reply @Mark44 !

I see what you mean about me missing the dots.

However how dose,

##a^{n-1} + a^{n-2}a + \dots + aa^{n-2} + a^{n-1} = na^{n-1}##?

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:

However how dose,

Many thanks!
Try writing it out explicitly for n=5.

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
Callumnc1 said:

However how dose,

Many thanks!

[tex]\begin{multline*}
\overbrace{a^{n-1} + aa^{n-2} + \dots + a^{k}a^{n-1-k} + \dots + a^{n-2}a + a^{n-1}}^{\mbox{$n$ terms}} \\
= \overbrace{a^{n-1} + a^{n-1} + \dots + a^{n-1} + \dots + a^{n-1} + a^{n-1}}^{\mbox{$n$ terms}} = na^{n-1}\end{multline*}[/tex]

Likes ChiralSuperfields
@Callumnc1 I worry about how much you are learning given the large number of problems you are posting. I would suggest going back and looking at the problems you have posted and seeing if you can solve them without help. If you have issues with many of them, then all PF is doing is helping you solve problems, not learn the material.

Likes SammyS, ChiralSuperfields and Mark44
pasmith said:
[tex]\begin{multline*}
\overbrace{a^{n-1} + aa^{n-2} + \dots + a^{k}a^{n-1-k} + \dots + a^{n-2}a + a^{n-1}}^{\mbox{$n$ terms}} \\
= \overbrace{a^{n-1} + a^{n-1} + \dots + a^{n-1} + \dots + a^{n-1} + a^{n-1}}^{\mbox{$n$ terms}} = na^{n-1}\end{multline*}[/tex]
Thank you for your reply @pasmith ! Sorry, how did you get you last result:

pasmith said:
[tex]\begin{multline*}
\\

Many thanks!

Frabjous said:
@Callumnc1 I worry about how much you are learning given the large number of problems you are posting. I would suggest going back and looking at the problems you have posted and seeing if you can solve them without help. If you have issues with many of them, then all PF is doing is helping you solve problems, not learn the material.
Thank you for your reply @Frabjous ! Yes I agree with you suggestion! I will definitely try to solve the old threads!

Many thanks!

Frabjous said:
Try writing it out explicitly for n=5.
Thank you for your reply @Frabjous !

For n = 5, then

##a^{n-1} + a^{n-2}a + \dots + aa^{n-2} + a^{n-1} = a^4 + a^4 + a^4 + a^4 = 4a^4## (I am unsure what the dots mean)

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
For n = 5, then ##a^{n-1} + a^{n-2}a + \dots + aa^{n-2} + a^{n-1} = a^4 + a^4 + a^4 + a^4 = 4a^4## (I am unsure what the dots mean)
No, that's wrong. You should not have the dots (ellipsis) here. For n = 5, and writing all of the terms in the first expression you circled, we have:
##a^4 + a^3a + a^2a^2 + aa^3 + a^0a^4 = ##
##a^4 + a^4 + a^4 + a^4 + a^4 = 5a^4##
This means that if ##f(x) = x^5##, then ##f'(x) = 5x^4## and ##f'(a) = 5a^4##.
As for the meaning of the dots, please reread post #4 in which I explained what they mean.

Likes Frabjous and ChiralSuperfields
Mark44 said:
No, that's wrong. You should not have the dots (ellipsis) here. For n = 5, and writing all of the terms in the first expression you circled, we have:
##a^4 + a^3a + a^2a^2 + aa^3 + a^0a^4 = ##
##a^4 + a^4 + a^4 + a^4 + a^4 = 5a^4##
This means that if ##f(x) = x^5##, then ##f'(x) = 5x^4## and ##f'(a) = 5a^4##.
As for the meaning of the dots, please reread post #4 in which I explained what they mean.
Thank you for your help @Mark44!

Sorry, so for n = 5, continuing the pattern will give ##a^2a^{n-3} = a^4##, correct? Now I need to generalize that for n which is hard.

EDIT: That's what @pasmith has done, I understand now :)

Many thanks!

pasmith said:
[tex]\begin{multline*}
Thank you for help @pasmith ! I understand now :)

Callumnc1 said:
Thank you for your help @Mark44!

Sorry, so for n = 5, continuing the pattern will give ##a^2a^{n-3} = a^4##, correct? Now I need to generalize that for n which is hard.

EDIT: That's what @pasmith has done, I understand now :)

Many thanks!
The thing to notice is that the exponents go from (n-1) to 0 and 0 to (n-1) which is n terms.

In general, you need to spend more time staring at and manipulating things. Be patient. Problems take time to solve, otherwise we would call them easies.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and Mark44
Frabjous said:
The thing to notice is that the exponents go from (n-1) to 0 and 0 to (n-1) which is n terms.

In general, you need to spend more time staring at and manipulating things. Be patient. Problems take time to solve, otherwise we would call them easies.
Thank you for you reply @Frabjous!

I agree with your advice! How long should try solving the problem for before looking at the solution?

Many thanks!

Until you have run out of ideas. Ideally, you would go away for a while and try again before looking. Part of problem solving is to figure out different ways of going after a problem. Hopefully one of them will work. When you get a hint from PF, play with it for a while before asking for additional help.

For this problem, you should have tried to solve it for a specific value of n starting at the xn-an stage. You would have at least learned what an ellipsis is.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Frabjous said:
Until you have run out of ideas. Ideally, you would go away for a while and try again before looking. Part of problem solving is to figure out different ways of going after a problem. Hopefully one of them will work. When you get a hint from PF, play with it for a while before asking for additional help.

For this problem, you should have tried to solve it for a specific value of n starting at the xn-an stage. You would have at least learned what an ellipsis is.
Thank your for your advice @Frabjous! I will try to do that more!

What is the power rule?

The power rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a function raised to a power.

How is the power rule used in calculus?

In calculus, the power rule is used to find the derivative of a function raised to a power. It states that the derivative of x^n is n times x^(n-1).

What is the proof for the power rule?

The proof for the power rule involves using the definition of the derivative and the binomial theorem to show that the derivative of x^n is n times x^(n-1).

Why is it important to understand the proof of the power rule?

Understanding the proof of the power rule allows one to have a deeper understanding of the concept and be able to apply it in various mathematical problems and applications.

How can I get help with line 3 to line 4 of the power rule proof?

You can seek help from a math tutor or teacher, refer to online resources and tutorials, or ask for clarification from someone who has a strong understanding of the power rule and its proof.