Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power saving with the water heater

1. Sep 24, 2005 #1

Mk

Will turning the water heater on and off save pwoer!>!>?!???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How long did you plan to turn it off? If you're just going to turn it off a few hours and turn it back on when it's time to shower, probably not. But if you're going away for a month's vacation, it would.

4. Sep 24, 2005 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

Perhaps instead of being concerned with the consumption aspect you should simply increase amount of electricity available to you - get solar cells, windmills, etc?

5. Sep 24, 2005 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I notice you are in Guam. If you are considering getting a timer that controls the time your electric heater switches on, I'd say you would save enough money in eight years to pay for the timer.

6. Sep 24, 2005 #5

cronxeh

Gold Member

:rofl:

thats cold dude

7. Sep 24, 2005 #6
    Some water heaters are more efficient, or insulation on the heater (not sure of the details on this one) can help reduce energy consumption, or turning it down a degree or two (or five) so it doesn't need to heat up so much - These things help too.

8. Sep 24, 2005 #7

Mk

I'm not planning on anything, I just am curious. The first one.

Solar cells would cost more than I would gain, and windmills! I don't have enough land, I don't have enough money, and Greenpeace people would be knocking on my door how I'm hunting birds unfairly.

Well, I'm not considering the water at all for that reason.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?