Power saving with the water heater

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
Mk

Main Question or Discussion Point

Will turning the water heater on and off save pwoer!>!>?!???

Answers and Replies

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How long did you plan to turn it off? If you're just going to turn it off a few hours and turn it back on when it's time to shower, probably not. But if you're going away for a month's vacation, it would.

cronxeh
Gold Member
Perhaps instead of being concerned with the consumption aspect you should simply increase amount of electricity available to you - get solar cells, windmills, etc?

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I notice you are in Guam. If you are considering getting a timer that controls the time your electric heater switches on, I'd say you would save enough money in eight years to pay for the timer.

cronxeh
Gold Member
Chi Meson said:
I notice you are in Guam. If you are considering getting a timer that controls the time your electric heater switches on, I'd say you would save enough money in eight years to pay for the timer.
:rofl:

thats cold dude

Some water heaters are more efficient, or insulation on the heater (not sure of the details on this one) can help reduce energy consumption, or turning it down a degree or two (or five) so it doesn't need to heat up so much - These things help too.

Mk
Moonbear said:
How long did you plan to turn it off? If you're just going to turn it off a few hours and turn it back on when it's time to shower, probably not. But if you're going away for a month's vacation, it would.
I'm not planning on anything, I just am curious. The first one.

cronxeh said:
Perhaps instead of being concerned with the consumption aspect you should simply increase amount of electricity available to you - get solar cells, windmills, etc?
Solar cells would cost more than I would gain, and windmills! I don't have enough land, I don't have enough money, and Greenpeace people would be knocking on my door how I'm hunting birds unfairly.

Chi Meson said:
Well, I'm not considering the water at all for that reason.