1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Series Equality Proof

1. Jun 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given [itex]\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}a_{n}(x-a)^{n}[/itex] and [itex]\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}b_{n}(x-a)^{n} [/itex] that are in R. Then, [itex]\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}a_{n}(x-a)^{n}=\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}b_{n}(x-a)^{n} [/itex] if and only if [itex]a_{n}=b_{n} [/itex] for every [itex] n=0,1,2,... [/itex]

The attempt at a solution
    (<<) Assume an=bn for every n=0,1,2,...
    Then [itex]\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}a_{n}(x-a)^{n}=a_{0}+a_{1}(x-a)+...=b_{0}+b_{1}(x-a)+...=\overset{\infty}{\underset{n=0}{\sum}}b_{n}(x-a)^{n} [/itex].
    (>>) Now with this direction I am having some issues as the series may not necessarily converge. My attempts have been feeble at best. The problem I have had is that the sums are infinite so I don't think I can use that polynomials are equal if and only if their coefficients are equal. At this point I am thinking about looking at the nth partial sums but I am not sure and just would like any advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How can it be said that [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_{n}(x-a)^{n}=\sum_{n=0}^\infty b_{n}(x-a)^{n}\ , [/itex] unless both sums converge?

4. Jun 21, 2012 #3
    That is the thing. This was something I was going to ask my professor that I am going to be doing research with in p-adic analysis. I am starting to think this may just be a definition since if I recall my professor he was saying how a p-adic integer which is a power series may not be a convergent power series in the ring of p-adic integers. My professor is busy right now. This might not make sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook