1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Series Expansion

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I basically need to know if the series Ʃ ((-1)^(i-1))/i can be represented in other ways (e.g. a Taylor series, but I doubt it). I know it converges to ln2, but I need to know if there's a series like x^2, x^4, .... or something like it that I can represent the series with.

2. Relevant equations

Ʃ ((-1)^(i-1))/i for i=1 to q, where q is a finite, but very large number

3. The attempt at a solution

My calc textbook doesn't examine that series for anything besides its convergent nature, and I can't find any online resources for it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2
    I'm not sure if I understand what you are asking... But have you tried expanding ln(1+x) as a Taylor series?

4. Sep 7, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply. This question specifically pertains to the series I asked about - I was just using the Taylor series as a possibility of an alternate representation of the series. After looking at my old calc textbook, I see that I was way off base suggesting a Taylor series.

I'll rephrase this - Is it possible to rewrite the series Ʃ(-1^i)/i as another type of series that contains a quadratic term?

5. Sep 7, 2012 #4
    Quadratic in what? You can of course develop the series at different points. If you solve for the series of ln (3/2+x) then you'll end up with series containing powers of 1/2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook