1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power series expansion

1. Jan 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Use power series to evaluate the function at the given point"
    ## ln (x+ \sqrt{1+{x^2}}) - sin x ##

at ## x = 0.001 ##

2. Relevant equations
    Relevant power series:
    A: ## ln (1+x) = \Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{({(-1)^{n+1}}{x^n})}{n} \Big) ##

B: ## {(1+x)^p} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty }\binom{p}{n}{x^n} ##

C: ## sin x = \Big ( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{({(-1)^{n}{x}^{2n+1}})}{(2n+1)!} \Big) ##

3. The attempt at a solution

Starting out with the logarithmic expression, there are two power series.

If ## \sqrt{1+{x^2}} = y ##

then ## ln (x+y) = \Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{({(-x)^{n+1}}{y^n})}{n} \Big) ##

and ## y = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty }\binom{(\frac{1}{2})}{n}{({(x^2)^n)}} ##

I hope I am correct this far? Of course, I can now expand the series and multiply term by term, but this is quite tedious - especially since (using wolfram alpha), the first terms are in the power of 5 and 7. I also tried making a general expression, but then I end up with something like..
    ## ln (x+y) = \Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{({(-x)^{n+1}})}{n} \Big) * (\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }\binom{(\frac{1}{2})}{n}{({(x^2)^n)}}) ##

.. and I don't know how to simplify this.

There must be some obvious mistake, or a simpler way to do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That does not look right and I don't see where this comes from. You cannot simply replace occurences of 1 by a variable. In particular, the two occurences of "1" in the expansion given above have a completely different meaning.

What is ##\binom{(\frac{1}{2})}{n}##?
    There is a power series for ##\sqrt{1+x}## that you can use.

With the correct power series, it is sufficient to consider the first few terms - I guess you just need the first non-vanishing order of x.

4. Jan 24, 2015 #3
    "In particular, the two occurrences of "1" in the expansion given above have a completely different meaning."
    Yes, I was unsure of this.

And maybe I was unclear - I used the binomial series to expand ## \sqrt{1+{x^2}} ##
    ## \sqrt{1+{x^2}} = \sum_{0}^{\infty }\binom{\frac{1}{2}}{n}{(x^2)^n} = 1 + \frac{x^2}{2} - \frac{x^4}{8} + \frac{x^6}{16} ... ## where ## \binom{\frac{1}{2}}{n} ## is the binomial expression 0.5 choose n.
    I think this is correct?

I don't fully understand, however - how do I make a power series of:
    ## ln (1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2} - \frac{x^4}{8} + \frac{x^6}{16}...) ## ... ?

5. Jan 24, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Okay, I found the appropriate generalization of the standard binomial coefficients needed for that.

##\ln(1+x+\frac{x^2}{2}+...) = \ln(1+c)= ...## with c coming from the sum. You won't need many terms to find one that does not cancel.

6. Jan 24, 2015 #5
    Of course! Thanks!

7. Jan 24, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write ##1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2} - \frac{x^4}{8} + \frac{x^6}{16} + \cdots## as ##1+z##, and use the series for ##\ln(1+z)## in powers of ##z##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted