Using Power Series to Evaluate ln and sin at a Given Point

Then substitute back ##z## for the series in powers of ##x##.In summary, to evaluate ln (x+ \sqrt{1+{x^2}}) - sin x at x = 0.001, we can use the relevant power series for ln (1+x) and sin x, and substitute the series expansion for sqrt(1+x^2) into ln (1+x). Then, we can simplify the resulting expression and evaluate it at x = 0.001 to get the desired value.
ngc2024

Homework Statement

"Use power series to evaluate the function at the given point"
## ln (x+ \sqrt{1+{x^2}}) - sin x ##

at ## x = 0.001 ##

Homework Equations

Relevant power series:
A: ## ln (1+x) = \Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{({(-1)^{n+1}}{x^n})}{n} \Big) ##

B: ## {(1+x)^p} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty }\binom{p}{n}{x^n} ##

C: ## sin x = \Big ( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{({(-1)^{n}{x}^{2n+1}})}{(2n+1)!} \Big) ##

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Starting out with the logarithmic expression, there are two power series.

If ## \sqrt{1+{x^2}} = y ##

then ## ln (x+y) = \Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{({(-x)^{n+1}}{y^n})}{n} \Big) ##

and ## y = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty }\binom{(\frac{1}{2})}{n}{({(x^2)^n)}} ##

I hope I am correct this far? Of course, I can now expand the series and multiply term by term, but this is quite tedious - especially since (using wolfram alpha), the first terms are in the power of 5 and 7. I also tried making a general expression, but then I end up with something like..
## ln (x+y) = \Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{({(-x)^{n+1}})}{n} \Big) * (\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }\binom{(\frac{1}{2})}{n}{({(x^2)^n)}}) ##

.. and I don't know how to simplify this.

There must be some obvious mistake, or a simpler way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
ngc2024 said:
If ## \sqrt{1+{x^2}} = y ##

then ## ln (x+y) = \Big( \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{({(-x)^{n+1}}{y^n})}{n} \Big) ##
That does not look right and I don't see where this comes from. You cannot simply replace occurences of 1 by a variable. In particular, the two occurences of "1" in the expansion given above have a completely different meaning.

and ## y = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty }\binom{(\frac{1}{2})}{n}{({(x^2)^n)}} ##
What is ##\binom{(\frac{1}{2})}{n}##?
There is a power series for ##\sqrt{1+x}## that you can use.

With the correct power series, it is sufficient to consider the first few terms - I guess you just need the first non-vanishing order of x.

"In particular, the two occurrences of "1" in the expansion given above have a completely different meaning."
Yes, I was unsure of this.

And maybe I was unclear - I used the binomial series to expand ## \sqrt{1+{x^2}} ##
## \sqrt{1+{x^2}} = \sum_{0}^{\infty }\binom{\frac{1}{2}}{n}{(x^2)^n} = 1 + \frac{x^2}{2} - \frac{x^4}{8} + \frac{x^6}{16} ... ## where ## \binom{\frac{1}{2}}{n} ## is the binomial expression 0.5 choose n.
I think this is correct?

I don't fully understand, however - how do I make a power series of:
## ln (1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2} - \frac{x^4}{8} + \frac{x^6}{16}...) ## ... ?

Okay, I found the appropriate generalization of the standard binomial coefficients needed for that.

##\ln(1+x+\frac{x^2}{2}+...) = \ln(1+c)= ...## with c coming from the sum. You won't need many terms to find one that does not cancel.

Likes ngc2024
Of course! Thanks!

ngc2024 said:
"In particular, the two occurrences of "1" in the expansion given above have a completely different meaning."
Yes, I was unsure of this.

And maybe I was unclear - I used the binomial series to expand ## \sqrt{1+{x^2}} ##
## \sqrt{1+{x^2}} = \sum_{0}^{\infty }\binom{\frac{1}{2}}{n}{(x^2)^n} = 1 + \frac{x^2}{2} - \frac{x^4}{8} + \frac{x^6}{16} ... ## where ## \binom{\frac{1}{2}}{n} ## is the binomial expression 0.5 choose n.
I think this is correct?

I don't fully understand, however - how do I make a power series of:
## ln (1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2} - \frac{x^4}{8} + \frac{x^6}{16}...) ## ... ?

Write ##1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2} - \frac{x^4}{8} + \frac{x^6}{16} + \cdots## as ##1+z##, and use the series for ##\ln(1+z)## in powers of ##z##.

Likes ngc2024

1. What is a power series expansion?

A power series expansion is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, with each term being a polynomial multiplied by a constant raised to a variable power. This allows for the approximation of the function by truncating the series at a certain point.

2. Why are power series expansions useful?

Power series expansions are useful because they allow for the approximation of complicated functions using simpler polynomials. This makes it easier to perform calculations and analyze the behavior of a function.

3. How do you determine the convergence of a power series?

The convergence of a power series can be determined by using the ratio test or the root test, which compare the limit of the absolute value of the terms in the series to a known value. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges; if it is greater than 1, the series diverges.

4. Can power series expansions be used for any function?

No, power series expansions can only be used for functions that are analytic, meaning they have a derivative at every point. Also, the function must be able to be expressed as a sum of polynomials, such as trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions.

5. How do you find the coefficients of a power series expansion?

The coefficients of a power series expansion can be found by using the Maclaurin series, which is a special case of a power series centered at 0. The coefficients can also be found by taking derivatives of the function at 0, using the formula for the nth derivative of a power function.