1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Series Help

1. Nov 20, 2007 #1
    f(x)=4x/(7+x). Find the first few coefficients and radius of convergence

sum (n=0 to infinity) CnX^n

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set up the equation into the form of a power series and got:

(-1)^n*(4)^n*(x/7)^(n+1)

But that doesn't seem to be right because I can't get the coefficients right. I know the first one is 0, but what I have doesn't give me that. the RoC is 7. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you do it correctly in terms of a power series it's not 4^n. It's just 4. Just expand 1/(7+x) in power series and then multiply by 4x. Right, there is no zero term.

4. Nov 20, 2007 #3
    - Thanks. That fixes the problem. Though webworks is pretty dumb as always. It list C0=0 and C1=4/7. That doesn't make sense to me since plugging in 0 gives you 4/7.

5. Nov 20, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's correct. 4x/(7+x)=4x*(1/7-x/7^2+x^2/7^3...). If C0 is the power of x^0, it's zero. If C1 is power of x^1, then it's 4/7. Etc.

6. Nov 20, 2007 #5
    - I see. I need to go back and review it more. I thought it was assumed that anything raised to the 0 power is 1.

7. Nov 20, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are right! The coefficient of the 0 power is the coefficient of 1=x^0. It's 0. 4/7 is the coefficient of x=x^1.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?