Solving Power Series with Integral Test for Homework

In summary, the integral test is a method used to determine the interval of convergence of a given equation. It is not necessary to use an integral test to find the basic interval of convergence, as a ratio test can also be used. However, an integral test may be helpful in determining the endpoints of the interval. It is important to fully understand the problem before seeking outside help.
jaqueh

Homework Statement

My professor says that the integral test is supposed to help me figure out the interval of convergence of this equation:
Ʃ(2n*(x+1)n)/(n*ln(n))

Homework Equations

integral test

The Attempt at a Solution

i couldn't figure out what the power series was after i differentiated the first few terms of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't i edit my original post? anyways the power series goes from 2 to infinity

am i going about this even the right way? please someone i beg you to help me , i have my final tomorrow and this was the last practice problem and i really am worried that something of this caliber will be on the final.

pict

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-12-06 at 10.13.13 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-12-06 at 10.13.13 PM.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 405
Being in a panic doesn't help. You don't need an integral test to find a basic interval of convergence. A ratio test will do fine. An integral test may help at the endpoints though.

omg i misunderstood everything, wow i should do the problem before i read emails, thank you for clearing that up

What is a Power Series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form:

∑(n=0 to ∞) ar^n = a + ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + ...

where a is a constant and r is the variable. These series are commonly used in calculus to represent functions as an infinite sum of simpler terms.

What is the Integral Test?

The Integral Test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to an integral. If the integral of the series converges, then the series also converges, and if the integral diverges, then the series also diverges. This test is particularly useful for power series, as it allows us to determine their convergence without directly evaluating each term.

How do you solve a Power Series using the Integral Test?

To solve a power series using the Integral Test, you first need to identify the constant a and the variable r in the series. Then, you need to find the integral of the series using the constant and variable. Next, you evaluate the integral and determine if it converges or diverges. If it converges, then the power series also converges, and if it diverges, then the power series also diverges.

What is the significance of the Integral Test in solving Power Series for homework?

The Integral Test is a powerful method for determining the convergence or divergence of a power series. By using this test, students can quickly and efficiently determine the convergence of a series without having to evaluate each term individually. This makes it a valuable tool for solving power series for homework assignments.

Can the Integral Test be used to solve all Power Series?

No, the Integral Test can only be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a power series if the series meets certain criteria. The series must be positive, continuous, and decreasing for the Integral Test to be applicable. If these conditions are not met, other tests such as the Ratio Test or Root Test may need to be used to determine convergence or divergence.