Power Series Identity for Bessel Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of power series in finding the solution to e^{\frac{x}{2}(t-\frac{1}{t})}=\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}J_n(x)t^n, specifically using the power series product and changing the summation variables to extract t from the inner sum. The method involves handling different ranges separately and using the Laurent series.
matematikuvol

Homework Statement

Show
[tex]e^{\frac{x}{2}(t-\frac{1}{t})}=\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}J_n(x)t^n[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]J_k(x)=\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{(-1)^n}{(n+k)!n!}(\frac{x}{2})^{2n+k}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Power series product
[tex](\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}a_n)\cdot (\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} b_n)=\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}c_n[/tex]
where
[tex]\sum^n_{i=0}a_ib_{n-i}[/tex]
[tex](\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{1}{n!}(\frac{x}{2})^nt^n)\cdot (\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{(-1)^n}{n!}(\frac{x}{2})^nt^{2i-n})=\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}c_n[/tex]
where
[tex]c_n=\sum^{n}_{i=0}\frac{(-1)^{n-i}}{i!(n-i)!}(\frac{x}{2})^nt^{2i-n}[/tex]
So
[tex]e^{\frac{x}{2}(t-\frac{1}{t})}=\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\sum^{n}_{i=0} \frac {(-1)^{n-i}}{i!(n-i)!}(\frac{x}{2})^nt^{2i-n}[/tex]
I don't see how to get from here
[tex]e^{\frac{x}{2}(t-\frac{1}{t})}=\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}J_n(x)t^n[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to extract t from the inner sum. To do that, you need to change the summation variables so that only one of them (the outer sum variable) shows up in t's exponent. It's a bit messy because it can take either sign, so it might be best to handle the ranges 2i>=n, 2i<n separately.

Is there some other way to do it. Easier? Here I go from Taylor to Laurent series.

It's probably not that hard. Substitute for n with n=2i-k. Your double sum is over n>=i, so that becomes i>=k. Sum over i first, and see if that produces Jk(x). I doubt there's an easier way.

1. What is a power series identity?

A power series identity is a mathematical expression that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms raised to increasing powers of a variable.

2. How is a power series identity written?

A power series identity is typically written in the form of Σanxn, where n is the variable and an is the coefficient of xn.

3. What is the importance of power series identities in mathematics?

Power series identities are important in mathematics because they can be used to represent and approximate a wide range of functions, making them a powerful tool for solving problems in calculus, differential equations, and other areas of mathematics.

4. What is the difference between a power series and a power series identity?

The terms power series and power series identity are often used interchangeably, but technically, a power series is the actual infinite sum of terms, while a power series identity is the mathematical expression that represents this sum.

5. How are power series identities used to solve problems?

Power series identities can be used to solve problems by manipulating the infinite sum of terms to find specific values or patterns. They can also be used to approximate functions and find solutions to differential equations.