1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power series in Physics

1. Oct 31, 2012 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to show that the Planck radiation formula reduces to the Rayleigh-Jeans formula in the classical limit for blackbodies.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can easily show it using power series expansion of [itex] e^{(hc/\lambda kT)}[/itex] but I don't understand really why using a power series approximation makes something tend to the classical limit?

Similarly, for [itex] E_k = mc^2(\gamma -1) [/itex] tending to [itex] \frac{mv^2}{2} [/itex], in the classical limit. The results are clear, I just don't understand why using a power series actually works.

Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2012 #2
    The first term (or terms) of a power series is a good approximation of a function only when its argument is small. Use any estimate of the approximation error to show that formally.

If you can cast "classicality" as a smallness of some argument to some function, then a power series (polynomial, actually) approximation would describe the phenomenon "classically". See how that applies to these two cases.

4. Oct 31, 2012 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

What do you mean by the word 'argument' here?

5. Nov 1, 2012 #4
    f(x) is function f of argument x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook