Convergence of a Power Series: Lim Sup Explained

In summary, the series sum(a_nx^n) converges for all x in (-1/L,1/L) if L is not zero. If L=0, the series onverges for all x in R. If |a_(n+1)/a_n| is unbounded, the original series converges only when x=0.
kathrynag
Let sum(a_nx^n) be a power series with a_n not zero, and assume L=lim|a_(n+1)/a_n| exists.
a) Show that if L is not zero, then the series converges for all x in (-1/L,1/L).
b) Show that if L=0, then the series onverges for all x in R
c) Show that a) and b) continue to hold if L is replaced by the limit
L'=lim(s_n) where s_n=sup{|a_(k+1)/a_k|:k>=n}
The value L' is called the limit superior or lim sup of the sequence |a_(n+1)/a_n|. It exists iff the sequence is bounded.
d) Show that if |a_(n+1)/a_n| is unbounded, then the original series converges only when x=0

I'm looking at this and I have no clue how to start.
Like for a), I start by assuming L is not zero.
So we have lim|a_(n+1)/a_n|is nonzero. Then I have trouble getting further.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the following convergence test:

If [tex]\sum{u_n}[/tex] is a series of positive real numbers, then

1. If [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\frac{u_{n+1}}{u_n}}<1,[/tex] then [tex]\sum{u_n}[/tex] converges.
  2. If [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\frac{u_{n+1}}{u_n}}>1,[/tex] then [tex]\sum{u_n}[/tex] diverges.

Look it up in your course, it quite likely that you've shown this somewhere. Otherwise, you'll need to show it yourself, it's not that hard...

yeah I know that. I just looked at that. I tried looking at a_nx^n=b_n
so I looked at Lim|b_n+1/b_n|.
I just got confused with that. I can see the basic ratio test as you described, but when I try this I get confused.

Well, naturally, you would want to apply the ratio test on [tex]\sum{a_nx^n}[/tex]. But the ratio test cannot be applied, since the numbers might not be positive. To fix this, you need to apply the ratio test on [tex]\sum{|a_nx^n|}[/tex]. So, what does the ratio test give you in this case?

Would it be 1 or -1 based on the rato test of |a_n+1/a_n|, since we look at L<1 or L>1 and to get a value of 1, the absolute value is -1 or 1?

kathrynag said:
Would it be 1 or -1 based on the rato test of |a_n+1/a_n|, since we look at L<1 or L>1 and to get a value of 1, the absolute value is -1 or 1?

I'm sorry, I'm not really following... How did you get -1??

Well I looked at ratio test of [tex]\sum{|a_nx^n|}[/tex]
I guess I was thinking of it being 1 or -1 based on the absolute value

What is 1 or -1?? Can you please write out what you do when applying the ratio test? It's very hard to follow...

[tex]\|a_{n+1}x^{n+1}/a_n|}[/tex]
Then could I do :
|[tex]{\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}}[/tex]||[tex]{\frac{x^{n+1}}{x^n}}[/tex]|

If [tex]
{\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}}
[/tex] is convergent, then [tex]
{\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}}
[/tex]<1

so [tex]
-1<{\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}}
[/tex]<1

You should really watch your notation. There's a limit missing there. A lot of mathematicians are quite sensitive to this!

So you obtain [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\frac{|a_{n+1}x^{n+1}|}{|a_nx^n|}[/tex]

Now, what does the ratio test say about this limit? (Just repeat the formulation of the ratio test for [tex]u_n=|a_nx^n|[/tex]...)

Furthermore, you can simplify the limit by cancelling a factor xn...

converges if limit less than 1
-1<[tex]{\frac{a_{n+1}x^{n+1}}{a_nx^n}[/tex]<1
So converges on (-1/L,1/L)

Ok I think a) and b) make sense now.
Now for c) I look at sup, I see? I guess I would deal with a similar process, but am a little unsure on dealing with the sup.

Well, you could show that the ratio test still holds with limsup instead of lim...

Ok I see!

Ok I think I'm getting a little stuck on calculating sup. I know sup=smallest upper bound, but how does that work for sup [tex]{\frac{|a_{n+1}x^{n+1}|}{|a_nx^n|}[/tex]?

1. What is a Power Series?

A power series is a mathematical series that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is typically written in the form of Σan(x-c)^n, where a is a constant, x is the variable, and c is a fixed point.

2. What is Lim Sup in relation to Power Series?

Lim Sup, or limit superior, is a concept in mathematics that is used to determine the largest possible limit that a sequence can have. In the context of power series, Lim Sup is used to prove the convergence of the series.

3. How is Lim Sup used to prove convergence of Power Series?

To prove the convergence of a power series, we use the Lim Sup of the sequence of coefficients to determine the radius of convergence. If the radius of convergence is greater than zero, then the series will converge for all values of x within that radius. If the radius of convergence is zero, then the series will only converge at the center point.

4. What is the process for proving convergence using Lim Sup?

The process for proving the convergence of a power series using Lim Sup involves calculating the Lim Sup of the sequence of coefficients, determining the radius of convergence, and then using the ratio test or the root test to further prove the convergence of the series.

5. What are some common mistakes when using Lim Sup to prove convergence?

Some common mistakes when using Lim Sup to prove convergence include not considering the absolute value of the coefficients, not correctly applying the ratio or root test, and not checking for convergence at the endpoints of the interval of convergence. It is important to carefully follow the steps and conditions for using Lim Sup to avoid these mistakes.