Finding the Power Series of f'(x) from f(x) = x^2cos(2x)

In summary, the student is trying to find the power series for f'(x) given f(x) = x2cos2(x), but is having trouble figuring out how to take the derivative of the series equation.
Magnawolf

Homework Statement

Find the power series of f'(x), given f(x) = x2cos2(x)

Homework Equations

attachment.php?attachmentid=58196&stc=1&d=1366887854.png

Correct me if I'm wrong

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I just take the derivative of the solution I got previously? If so, what's a good way to write the sequence out so I can easily make a series representation. Or is there a better approach to the problem?

Attachments

• BNHxEiP.png
    BNHxEiP.png
    33 KB · Views: 496
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. I would multiply the ##x^2/2## into the parentheses and include it under the summation. Then differentiate it.

My main problem is trying to figure out how to represent what I'm getting as a series. When I multiply in the x^2 and differentiate I get

x + x - 8x^3 + 4x^5 - (32/45)x^7...

I can't figure it out

When you multiply the ##\frac{x^2} 2## in you have$$
\frac {x^2} 2 +\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^n2^{2n}x^{2n+2}}{(2n)!}$$Just differentiate the first term as you did and differentiate under the sum and you will have your formula.

When you say differentiate under the sum, do you mean differentiate each term in the sequence or do you mean you can actually take the derivative of the series equation? I tried googling and checking my textbook and I don't know how to take a derivative of a series in equation form, with the n's and such. If you can show me, that'd be great!

Yes, "differentiate under the sum" means "differentiate term by term". I don't know what you mean by "take the derivative of the equation"!

Magnawolf said:
When you say differentiate under the sum, do you mean differentiate each term in the sequence or do you mean you can actually take the derivative of the series equation? I tried googling and checking my textbook and I don't know how to take a derivative of a series in equation form, with the n's and such. If you can show me, that'd be great!

If you look at each term inside the sum, it just a constant times a power of ##x##. Use the power rule.

Oh okay, I got it now. Thanks for everything man!

1. What is a power series of f'(x)?

A power series of f'(x) is an infinite series representation of the derivative of a given function f(x). It is written in the form of a sum of terms where each term contains a variable, typically x, raised to a non-negative integer power.

2. How is a power series of f'(x) calculated?

A power series of f'(x) can be calculated using the Taylor series expansion, which involves taking the derivatives of the given function f(x) and evaluating them at a specific point. The coefficients of the resulting series correspond to the coefficients of the power series of f'(x).

3. What is the significance of a power series of f'(x)?

A power series of f'(x) provides a way to approximate the derivative of a function at any point within its radius of convergence. It can also be used to represent a function as a series of simpler functions, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

4. What is the radius of convergence for a power series of f'(x)?

The radius of convergence for a power series of f'(x) is the distance from the center of the series, where x=0, to the point where the series converges. It is typically determined by using the ratio or root test on the series.

5. Can a power series of f'(x) be used to find the antiderivative of a function?

Yes, a power series of f'(x) can be integrated term by term to find the antiderivative of a function, just like a regular power series. This method is known as the method of undetermined coefficients.