Finding f^n(0) for the Power Series e^(αLn(z+1))

In summary: If z is not a real number, ##e^{\alpha \, \mathrm{Ln}\,\left( z + 1 \right) } \neq \left( z + 1 \right) ^{\alpha }## as the logarithm laws in general do not carry from the real numbers to the complex numbers, even if z is complex.
MissP.25_5
Hi.
I have another question about power series. I am having problem with the summarizing of the sum (writing in $\sum_{}^{}$ form).

Here is the question:
Let α be a real number that is not 0.
Let $$f(z)=e^{{\alpha}Ln(z+1)}$$
For integer n>0, find $$f^n(0).$$

My partial solution:
$$f(z)=e^{{\alpha}Ln(z+1)}=(z+1)^{\alpha}$$

$$f^1(z)=α(z+1)^{α-1}$$

$$f^2(z)=α(\alpha-1)(z+1)^{α-2}$$

$$f^3(z)=α(α-1)(α-2)(z+1)^{α-3}$$

The answer for $$f^n(z)$$ is

$$f^n(z)=\alpha(\alpha-1)...(\alpha-n+1)(z+1)^{\alpha-n}.$$

I am confused because when n=1,
$$f^1(z)=\alpha(z+1)^{\alpha-1}$$
but in the answer, there is the coefficient (α-1), this is where I am confused.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you make a typo in writing down the answer? There does not seem to be any ##n## index on the right hand side.

CAF123 said:
Did you make a typo in writing down the answer? There does not seem to be any ##n## index on the right hand side.

You're right, there is a typo error. Give me a few minutes to correct it.

CAF123 said:

$$f^n(z)=\alpha(\alpha-1)...(\alpha-n+1)(z+1)^{\alpha-n}$$

MissP.25_5 said:
$$f^n(z)=\alpha(\alpha-1)...(\alpha-n+1)(z+1)^{\alpha-n}$$
Yes, that's better. I think maybe it is just the notation that is confusing you. The quantity ##\alpha (\alpha - 1) \dots (\alpha - (n-1))## just means you write out all terms starting from ##\alpha## and ending with the term corresponding to that particular of ##n##. Putting a factor of ##\alpha - 1## in the general formula just serves to tell you that by increasing ##n## from 1 to 2, you should put in another factor of ##\alpha## lowered by 1. So, by extrapolating this knowledge to the general case, you see that ##f^n(z)## corresponds to the case where you have decreased ##\alpha## by 1 ##n-1## times and multiplied together all the consecutive terms.

CAF123 said:
Yes, that's better. I think maybe it is just the notation that is confusing you. The quantity ##\alpha (\alpha - 1) \dots (\alpha - (n-1))## just means you write out all terms starting from ##\alpha## and ending with the term corresponding to that particular of ##n##. Putting a factor of ##\alpha - 1## in the general formula just serves to tell you that by increasing ##n## from 1 to 2, you should put in another factor of ##\alpha## lowered by 1. So, by extrapolating this knowledge to the general case, you see that ##f^n(z)## corresponds to the case where you have decreased ##\alpha## by 1 ##n-1## times and multiplied together all the consecutive terms.

Ah, now I get why it's written that way, it's because it is corresponding to n. Thank you for explaining that. But I don't get this part, though. What do you mean by this:

So, by extrapolating this knowledge to the general case, you see that ##f^n(z)## corresponds to the case where you have decreased ##\alpha## by 1 ##n-1## times and multiplied together all the consecutive terms.

MissP.25_5 said:
Ah, now I get why it's written that way, it's because it is corresponding to n. Thank you for explaining that. But I don't get this part, though. What do you mean by this:

So, by extrapolating this knowledge to the general case, you see that ##f^n(z)## corresponds to the case where you have decreased ##\alpha## by 1 ##n-1## times and multiplied together all the consecutive terms.

By computing the ##n^{\text{th}}## derivative of ##f(z)##, you have decreased the value of ##\alpha## by ##n-1## times, right? E.g for n=2, you have factors ##\alpha## and ##(\alpha - 1)##. When I say 'multiply together all consecutive terms', I mean the general form for the ##n^{\text{th}}## derivative includes an overall term with all those factors multiplied together, e.g for n=2, you have a term ##\alpha(\alpha-1)##.

CAF123 said:
By computing the ##n^{\text{th}}## derivative of ##f(z)##, you have decreased the value of ##\alpha## by ##n-1## times, right? E.g for n=2, you have factors ##\alpha## and ##(\alpha - 1)##. When I say 'multiply together all consecutive terms', I mean the general form for the ##n^{\text{th}}## derivative includes an overall term with all those factors multiplied together, e.g for n=2, you have a term ##\alpha(\alpha-1)##.

Got it. So, the final answer is just plug in 0 into the function, right?

##∴f^n(0)= α(α-1)...(α-n+1)##

MissP.25_5 said:
Got it. So, the final answer is just plug in 0 into the function, right?

##∴f^n(0)= α(α-1)...(α-n+1)##
Right.

Likes 1 person
CAF123 said:
Right.

Thanks. Problem solved.

CAF123 said:
Right.

Hey, just one last question.

In the question, ##f(z)=e^{{\alpha}Ln(z+1)}## and I have written it as ##f(z)=(z+1)^{\alpha}##.
This is correct, right? Because someone said to me that it's not. He said:
If z is not a real number, ##e^{\alpha \, \mathrm{Ln}\,\left( z + 1 \right) } \neq \left( z + 1 \right) ^{\alpha }## as the logarithm laws in general do not carry from the real numbers to the complex numbers...

MissP.25_5 said:
Hey, just one last question.

In the question, ##f(z)=e^{{\alpha}Ln(z+1)}## and I have written it as ##f(z)=(z+1)^{\alpha}##.
This is correct, right? Because someone said to me that it's not. He said:
If z is not a real number, ##e^{\alpha \, \mathrm{Ln}\,\left( z + 1 \right) } \neq \left( z + 1 \right) ^{\alpha }## as the logarithm laws in general do not carry from the real numbers to the complex numbers...

It is OK for the "principle branch" of the function ##\ln##. What you did is valid as long as ##z+1## stays away from the negative real axis; certainly it is OK if ##\text{Re}(z+1) > 0##, or ##\text{Re}(z) > -1##.

Likes 1 person
You understand that [itex]e^{\alpha ln(z+ 1)}= (z+ 1)^\alpha[/itex], right?

HallsofIvy said:
You understand that [itex]e^{\alpha ln(z+ 1)}= (z+ 1)^\alpha[/itex], right?

Yes i do.

Ray Vickson said:
It is OK for the "principle branch" of the function ##\ln##. What you did is valid as long as ##z+1## stays away from the negative real axis; certainly it is OK if ##\text{Re}(z+1) > 0##, or ##\text{Re}(z) > -1##.

There's actually a continuation to this question. I have to expland f(z) into maclaurin series and then find the radius of convergence. To expand it, we have to use the exponential function method, right? Which is:
$$e^z=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{z^n}{n!}=1+\frac{z^2}{2!}+\frac{z^3}{3!}+...$$

In this problem ##f(z) = e^{αLn(z+1)}##, how can I expand it into maclaurin series? And, how do I find the radius of convergence?

Last edited:

What is a Power Series?

A power series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a polynomial with increasing powers of a variable.

What is f^n(0)?

f^n(0) represents the nth derivative of a function f at the point 0. It is also known as the nth derivative evaluated at 0.

What is e^(αLn(z+1))?

e^(αLn(z+1)) is a complex power series that represents the exponential function with a variable base of (z+1) raised to the power of α. It is commonly used in complex analysis and mathematical physics.

How do you calculate f^n(0) for e^(αLn(z+1))?

To calculate f^n(0) for e^(αLn(z+1)), you can use the generalized Leibniz rule for derivatives to find the nth derivative of the function. Alternatively, you can also use the Cauchy integral formula to calculate the coefficient of the z^n term in the power series expansion.

What is the significance of finding f^n(0) for e^(αLn(z+1))?

Knowing the value of f^n(0) for e^(αLn(z+1)) can be useful in solving various problems in complex analysis and mathematical physics. It can also help in understanding the behavior and properties of the exponential function with a variable base.