1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Series Question

1. May 27, 2009 #1
    I need to find [tex] \frac{1}{i+z} [/tex] as a power series in z.

I want to know if am doing this right.

If i use the taylor series here by doing
    [tex]
    f(z) = z^i
    [/tex]

[tex]
    f'(z) = i z^{-1} z^i
    [/tex]

[tex]
    f''(z) = i (i-1) z^{-2} z^i
    [/tex]

This taylor series is just for z= i +1, but i tried using it for my problem but i dont seem to get the right answer.
    this is the taylor series that i should be using but how do i find f(i) here?
    [tex]

f(z) = f(i) + f'(i) (z-i) + f''(i) (z-i)^2 + \cdots

[/tex]

cheers

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you needed to find the power series for 1/(1 - x), you could do it by getting the various derivatives, but an easier way would be just to do the long division. I would give that a shot first with the function you have. The thing about a power series is that it is unique, so however you get it, that's the one.

4. May 27, 2009 #3
    oh yup thats cool.. i just had another question.. will i be finding the derivative of f(z) or f(i) for the taylor polynomial?

5. May 27, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure you are getting it. f(i) is a constant. And you don't have to take any derivatives. As Mark44 said, you can expand 1/(i+z) in a power series without taking any derivatives. Write it as (1/i)*(1/(1-iz)). Now expand 1/(1-iz) as a geometric series. 1/(1-x)=1+x+x^2+x^3+... Does that ring a bell?

6. May 27, 2009 #5
    You can do any of the short cuts given already (long division / geometric series), but if you want to grind the Taylor expansion machinery, then you are doing two things wrong.

I read the quotation above to mean an expansion about z=0. What you are trying to do is an expansion about z=i. That is mistake number 1. (As an aside, I don't think you can do that because z=i is a singularity and I don't think your power series can be done around a singularity. However, I may not be 100% correct in this)

Your second mistake is that the function f(z) = 1 / (i+z). Why did you use z^i? Take the derivatives of the full f(z) and plug in z=0 the get the series coefficients.

If you use the function as given, and expand around z=0, then you should get the same thing as the short cut methods.

7. May 28, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You could also use the fact that the sum of the geometric series
    [tex]\sum_{n= 0}^\infty r^n= \frac{1}{1- r}[/tex]
    That's similar to Mark44's suggestion.

Oh, and
    [tex]\frac{1}{i+ x}= \frac{1}{i(1+ \frac{x}{i})}= -i\frac{1}{1- (-\frac{x}{i})}[/tex]

8. May 28, 2009 #7
    sweet as.. got it.. cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook