1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power series question.

1. Jan 1, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am asked to prove that if the power series Ʃ(1,infinity) a_n(x-x0)^n converges at a point d, then it converges for every x that satisfies |x-x0|<|d-x0|.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Obviously |d-x0|<r, where r denotes the radius of convergence. Should I strive to demonstrate that every such x would also satisfy |x-x0|<r? Is that the way to go about proving the above proposition? There is a general rule that if a power series converges at a point a, then it converges at every point x satisfying |x|<|a|. Should I therefore strive to show that |x|<|d|, or am I actually requested to prove the general rule? I'd appreciate some guidance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It seems to me you are being asked to prove that there is such a thing as radius of convergence, so better not to assume it. But it is hard to be sure.

4. Jan 1, 2013 #3
    What would you suggest then?

5. Jan 1, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If in doubt, go back to first principles. Given ε > 0, there exists... You should be able to use this criterion wrt x-x0 to show satisfied for some x closer x0.

6. Jan 1, 2013 #5
    So what keeps me from letting epsilon be the radius itself?

7. Jan 1, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

ε would be a bound in relation to the value to which the series converges, not in relation to x. Btw I should have said 'use the fact that this criterion is satisfied wrt d-x0 ...'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook