Power series question.

• Thread starter peripatein
  • Start date
Hi,

Homework Statement

I am asked to prove that if the power series Ʃ(1,infinity) a_n(x-x0)^n converges at a point d, then it converges for every x that satisfies |x-x0|<|d-x0|.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously |d-x0|<r, where r denotes the radius of convergence. Should I strive to demonstrate that every such x would also satisfy |x-x0|<r? Is that the way to go about proving the above proposition? There is a general rule that if a power series converges at a point a, then it converges at every point x satisfying |x|<|a|. Should I therefore strive to show that |x|<|d|, or am I actually requested to prove the general rule? I'd appreciate some guidance.

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
It seems to me you are being asked to prove that there is such a thing as radius of convergence, so better not to assume it. But it is hard to be sure.

What would you suggest then?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
If in doubt, go back to first principles. Given ε > 0, there exists... You should be able to use this criterion wrt x-x0 to show satisfied for some x closer x0.

So what keeps me from letting epsilon be the radius itself?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
So what keeps me from letting epsilon be the radius itself?
ε would be a bound in relation to the value to which the series converges, not in relation to x. Btw I should have said 'use the fact that this criterion is satisfied wrt d-x0 ...'.