What is the power series representation for F(x)= 3/4x^3-5, where c=1?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a power series for the function F(x) = (3/4)x^3 - 5, where c = 1. The expert suggests using the geometric series formula and manipulating the function to get it in the correct form. After some discussion and corrections, the final power series is determined to be \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-3/5)(4x)^{3n}.
rent981
1. Find a power series for F(x)= 3/4x^3-5, where c=1
2. power series = 1/a-r

3. What I did was take a derivative to get a similar function that was easier to solve. I used 1/x^3-1. Then I found a series for that function. Which I got [tex]\sum[/tex](x^3)^n. Then I added back from my orginal problem and got [tex]\sum[/tex](4/3x)^3n does this look at all right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Without parentheses it's difficult to tell what your function F is. It should be interpreted as (3/4)*x^3 - 5, but I don't think that's what you had in mind.

Doesn't seem right to me. How does the 5 affect your result for instance?

From the geometrical series you know that

[tex]\frac{1}{1-x} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n[/tex]

Your function

[tex]\frac{3}{4x^3 - 5}[/tex]

is already almost in the same form, all you have to do is manipulate it a little bit.

Ok if I rewrite I need to make the first term of the denominator 1. So I divide by -5. So then does the sum from 0 to infinity of (-3/5)(x)^3n look better?

Where did the 4 go?

oops. I am meant to write [infinity]\sum[/n=0] (-3/5)(4x)^3n.

[tex]
\frac{1}{1-x} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n (-3/5)(4x)^3n
[/tex]

does that look ok?

When you divide by five you should do that to the whole denominator. And you have too much x's in there though I suspect that's a typo.

Yes that was a typo. So...[tex]\sum[/tex] (from 0-infinty) (-3/5)(4/5X)^3n would be ok? Sorry this is a new topic for me. Thanks you so much for helping!

Almost, except that 4/5 is not cubed so it's power is n:

[tex]
\frac{3}{4x^3 - 5} = -\frac{3}{5} \frac{1}{1-\frac{4x^3}{5}} = -\frac{3}{5}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\frac{4x^3}{5})^n
[/tex]

1. What is a power series representation?

A power series representation is a way of expressing a function as an infinite polynomial. It is written as f(x) = a0 + a1(x-c) + a2(x-c)2 + a3(x-c)3 + ..., where a0, a1, a2, a3, ... are constants and c is a fixed point called the center of the series.

2. How is a power series representation different from a Taylor series?

A power series representation is a type of Taylor series, but it is centered at a specific point c, while a Taylor series is centered at x = 0 (also known as the Maclaurin series). Additionally, a Taylor series is a more general form of a power series, as it can include terms with negative powers of (x-c).

3. What is the purpose of using a power series representation?

Power series representations are useful for approximating functions that are difficult to evaluate directly, such as trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions. They can also help to identify patterns and behaviors in a function and make it easier to work with in mathematical calculations.

4. How is a power series representation used in calculus?

In calculus, power series representations are used to approximate functions, calculate limits, and find derivatives and integrals. They are also used to prove the convergence or divergence of a series, which is important in determining the behavior of a function.

5. Can all functions be represented as a power series?

No, not all functions can be represented as a power series. The function must be infinitely differentiable and have a finite radius of convergence for it to have a power series representation. Additionally, functions that have discontinuities or singularities cannot be represented as a power series.