Power Series Representation

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I am asked to find a power series for the function f(x) = 2/(1 - x^2), centered at 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only part I can't determine is the interval of convergence. I get stuck on the step |x2| < 1. What am I to do next?

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Are you saying you know the convergence domain is |x2| < 1, and you want to express that as a domain for x? Umm... isn't it obvious?

Not really, either wise I wouldn't have posed the question in the first place. I thought of taking the square root of both sides of the inequality, but wasn't entirely sure what the result would be.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
There's a very easy simplification of |x2|. Alternatively, you can expand an inequality like |y| < a (where a > 0) as -a < y < a.

So:

-1 < x^2 < 1

+/- sqrt(-1) < x < +/- sqrt(1)

+/- i < x < +/- 1
?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Based on the use of x rather than z, I assumed we were dealing with reals here. Was that a wrong assumption?

No, this problem does not entertain numbers other than reals. You said that I could expand the inequality involving the absolute, of which I did; henceforth, I solved for x, of which clearly resulted in a rather odd looking inequality, namely [itex] \pm i < x < \pm 1 [/itex]. Was this the solution that you had alluded to as being obvious?

Last edited:
haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
So:

-1 < x^2 < 1

+/- sqrt(-1) < x < +/- sqrt(1)
There are two problems with that step.
When operating with inequalities, you must be particularly careful about changing signs unwittingly. You have assumed sqrt(x^2) = x. The sqrt function is defined to return the principal value, i.e. the non-negative square root. Thus sqrt(x^2) = |x|, and the square roots of x^2 are ±|x|.
Secondly, it makes no sense to take sqrt(-1) if we're dealing with reals. Isn't the inequality -1 < x^2 somewhat redundant? Can you think of a tighter bound?

Would it be (-1, 1)?

Would it be (-1, 1)?
Looks good to me!

Think about it like this: if -1<x<1 then surely x^2<1 right?

Well, certainly my textbook is wrong for saying the interval of convergence is (1, 1). Thank you both for your help.