Finding the Function Represented by a Power Series

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of a_n and identifying the function represented by the given series by combining the two given equations and solving for a_n. The suggestion is made to write a differential equation for the function and solve it to find the solution that resembles the summation. Another suggestion is to use the original equation to find a_0 and then derive a formula for a_n from that.
popo902

Homework Statement

Determine the an so that the equation
[itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{na_{n}x^{n-1}} + 2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_{n}x^{n}} = 0
[/itex]

is satisfied. Try to identify the function represented by the series
[itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_{n}x^{n}} = 0
[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

what i have so far is

[itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^{n}[{a_{n+1}(n+1) + 2a_{n}}]= 0
[/itex]

i just combined the series.
then i solved for a,n

an = -1/2(an+1)(n+1)

so...is this right?
if it is, where do i go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would write it as a_{n+1}=(-2/(n+1))*a_{n}. But sure, that's ok. To identify the function I'd notice that one of those sums looks like the derivative of the other sum. Try and write a differential equation for
[itex]
f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_{n}x^{n}}
[/itex]

Last edited:
Or alternatively, you can use the original given equation to find [tex]a_0[/tex], then derive a formula for [tex]a_n[/tex] from that. It sounds like that's what they want. The differential equation method mentioned by Dick, however, is much quicker if you are allowed that.

i noticed from the first equation that the left sum, was the deriv. of the right, ecxept that the 2 was in front
so technically it would look like this : y' + 2y = 0, when y = [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_{n}x^{n}} = 0
[/itex]

so are you saying i should just solve the normal DE and i'll get the solution that resembles that summation...?

"I would write it as a_{n+1}=(-2/(n+1))*a_{n}."
i see now that this way was better since you need a0 to find the rest
...but then i thought i was solving for an?

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0∞ cn(x-a)n, where cn are constants and a is a fixed point. It is a type of mathematical series used to represent a function as a sum of infinitely many terms.

2. How do you find the convergence of a power series?

The convergence of a power series can be determined by using the ratio test or the root test. These tests check the limit of the absolute value of the ratio or the nth root of the terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges, and if it is greater than 1, the series diverges.

3. What is the radius of convergence of a power series?

The radius of convergence of a power series is the distance from the center point a to the nearest point where the series converges. It can be found by using the ratio test or the root test.

4. How do you find the sum of a power series?

The sum of a power series can be found by using the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series, ∑n=0∞ cn(x-a)n = c0 + c1(x-a) + c2(x-a)2 + ... = c0/(1-r), where r is the common ratio between consecutive terms. However, this formula only works if the series converges.

5. How is a power series used in calculus?

Power series are used in calculus to represent functions as an infinite sum, making it easier to calculate the value of the function at a specific point or to approximate the function. They are also used to find derivatives and integrals of functions. Power series are also used in Taylor and Maclaurin series, which are used to approximate any function with a polynomial.