1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power series solution for 1st-order ODE

1. Jun 13, 2004 #1
    I am trying to find the power series solution of

[tex]y' = x^2y[/tex]

but dont know how to arrive at the answer of [tex]y = a_0exp(x^3/3)[/tex]. [I know that it's an easily solved separable equation, I'm just trying to figure out how to find the power series solution]

My solution so far:

Assume
    [tex] y = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n [/tex]

then
    [tex] y' = \sum_{n=1}^\infty na_nx^{n-1} [/tex]

giving:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty na_nx^{n-1} = x^2 \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n [/tex]
    [tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty na_nx^{n-1} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^{n+2} [/tex]

changing the index for the LHS to give [tex]x^n [/tex]

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty (n + 1)a_{n + 1}x^n [/tex]

changing the index for the RHS to give [tex]x^n[/tex]:

[tex] \sum_{n=2}^\infty a_{n - 2}x^{n} [/tex]

Then taking the first two terms out of the LHS sum, so that both sums start from the same point:

[tex] a_1 + 2a_2x + \sum_{n=2}^\infty (n + 1)a_{n + 1}x^n = \sum_{n=2}^\infty a_{n - 2}x^{n} [/tex]

I don't know what to do after this (I'm not entirely sure if what I've done so far is right, either).

If the y term in the initial equation didn't have the [tex]x^2[/tex] in front of it, it would be easy to equate the coefficients of [tex]x^n[/tex] to get the recursion formula. But having the terms [tex]a_1[/tex] and [tex]2a_2x[/tex] in front of the sum on the LHS throws me - can anyone explain clearly to me the correct steps required to solve the problem?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2004 #2
    We know that [tex]y'(0) = a_1[/tex] and [tex]y''(0) = 2 a_2[/tex]

We also know that [tex]y'(x) = x^2 \ y(x)[/tex] so that [tex]y'(0) = 0 = a_1[/tex]

Differentiating both sides we get [tex]y''(x) = 2x \ y(x) + x^2 \ y'(x)[/tex] and it is seen that [tex]y''(0) = 0 = 2 a_2[/tex] so now we know that [tex]a_1=a_2=0[/tex].

Hope this helps!

4. Jun 13, 2004 #3
    Thanks, that was a great help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?