1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power series solution for ODE

1. Nov 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to find the recursion relation for the coefficients of the series around x=0 for the ODE: [itex]y'''+x^2y'+xy=0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Therefore letting:

[itex]y=\sum_{m=0}^\infty y_mx^m[/itex]

[itex]\therefore y'=\sum_{m=1}^\infty my_mx^{m-1}[/itex]

[itex]\therefore y''=\sum_{m=2}^\infty m(m-1)y_mx^{m-2}[/itex]

[itex]\therefore y'''=\sum_{m=3}^\infty m(m-1)(m-2)y_mx^{m-3}[/itex]

Subbing this back in gives:

[itex]\sum_{m=3}^\infty m(m-1)(m-2)y_mx^{m-3}+x^2\sum_{m=1}^\infty my_mx^{m-1}+x\sum_{m=0}^\infty y_mx^m=0[/itex]

Fixing [itex]y'''[/itex]:

[itex]\sum_{m=3}^\infty m(m-1)(m-2)y_mx^{m-3}=\sum_{m=2}^\infty (m+1)(m+2)(m+3)y_{m+3}x^{m}+6y_3+24xy_4[/itex]

Fixing [itex]y'[/itex]:

[itex]x^2\sum_{m=1}^\infty my_mx^{m-1}=\sum_{m=2}^\infty (m-1)y_{m-1}x^m[/itex]

Fixing [itex]y[/itex]:

[itex]x\sum_{m=0}^\infty y_mx^m=\sum_{m=2}^\infty y_{m-1}x^m+xy_0[/itex]

Therefore combining these terms gives:

[itex]\sum_{m=2}^\infty\left[(m+1)(m+2)(m+3)y_{m+3}+(m-1)y_{m-1}+y_{m-1}\right]x^m+6y_3+xy_0+24xy_4=0[/itex]

Therefore I have two equations which sum to 0, with one of them being this:

[itex]6y_3+xy_0+24xy_4=0[/itex]

[itex]\therefore y_3=0[/itex] and [itex]y_4=-\frac{1}{24}y_0[/itex]

Using the other equation:

[itex](m+1)(m+2)(m+3)y_{m+3}+(m-1)y_{m-1}+y_{m-1}=0[/itex]

[itex]\therefore (m+1)(m+2)(m+3)y_{m+3}+y_{m-1}((m-1)+1)=0[/itex]

[itex]\therefore y_{m+3}=-\frac{y_{m-1}m}{ (m+1)(m+2)(m+3)}[/itex]

This gives me:
    [itex]y_3=0[/itex]
    [itex]y_4=-\frac{1}{24}y_0[/itex]
    [itex]y_5=-\frac{1}{30}y_1[/itex]
    [itex]y_6=-\frac{1}{40}y_2[/itex]

The problem is I am not sure how to relate these together to solve the recursion! Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is rare that one can solve recursive equations for a "closed form" solution. Do you have reason to believe you can here?

4. Nov 28, 2013 #3
    Hm I am thinking then that there is a limited number of free parameters? So to answer your question, I have no good reason to believe a closed form solution exists. So how would I comment on the number of free parameters? Does this mean anything?

5. Nov 28, 2013 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

You have
    [tex]y_{m+3} = - \frac{y_{m-1} m}{(m+ 1)(m + 2)(m + 3)}[/tex]
    or
    [tex]y_{m+4} = - \frac{y_m (m+1)}{(m+2)(m+ 3)(m+ 4)}[/tex]

Thus you have four independent sequences [itex]y_{4n + k}[/itex] for [itex]k = 0,1,2,3[/itex]. Setting [itex]m = 4n + k[/itex] then gives
    [tex]
    y_{4(n+1)+k} = - \frac{y_{4n + k} (4n + k +1)}{(4n + k +2)(4n + k + 3)(4n + k + 4)}
    [/tex]
    Now, instead of having [itex]m[/itex] increasing by 4 at each step, we have [itex]n[/itex] increasing by 1, and to make things clearer we can set [itex]y_{4n + k} = a_n(k)[/itex], so that
    [tex]
    a_{n+1}(k) = - \frac{a_n(k) (4n + k +1)}{(4n + k +2)(4n + k + 3)(4n + k + 4)}
    [/tex]

One of the convenient aspects of homogenous linear recurrences is that we can deal with each factor multiplying [itex]a_{n}[/itex] separately. The -1 is the easiest: we get a factor of [itex](-1)^n[/itex]. The factors which are linear in [itex]n[/itex] are more difficult, and
    [tex]
    b_{n+1} = (An + B)b_n
    [/tex]
    doesn't have a solution other than the not closed-form
    [tex]
    b_n = b_0\prod_{r = 0}^{n-1} (Ar + B)
    [/tex]
    and similarly
    [tex]
    b_{n+1} = \frac{b_n}{An + B}
    [/tex]
    doesn't have a solution other than
    [tex]
    b_n = b_0\prod_{r = 0}^{n-1} \frac{1}{Ar + B}
    [/tex]
    (and we obviously require that there not exist any integer [itex]r \geq 0[/itex] for which [itex]Ar + B = 0[/itex]).

If [itex]A = 1[/itex] (which in your problem it isn't) these products can be expressed in terms of factorials or gamma functions. If [itex]A[/itex] were an integer and there were [itex]A[/itex] factors [itex](Ar + B)(Ar + B + 1) \cdots (Ar + B + A)[/itex] (or [itex](Ar + B)^{-1}(Ar + B + 1)^{-1} \cdots (Ar + B + A)^{-1}[/itex]) then again there would be a solution in terms of factorials or gamma functions, but your problem doesn't have sufficient factors.

However, you can say that
    [tex]
    y(x) = \sum_{m = 0}^{\infty} y_m x^m = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^{4n} (a_n(0) + a_n(1) x + a_n(2) x^2)
    [/tex]
    since the initial condition [itex]y_3 = 0[/itex] requires that [itex]a_n(3) = 0[/itex] for all [itex]n[/itex].

6. Nov 28, 2013 #5
    Thank you so much, was a good read :smile:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted