1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power series

1. Jan 25, 2006 #1
    may i know how to solve this ques:find the power series representation for arctan (x)

i know that arctan (x) = integ 1/(1 + x^2) but then from here i don't know how to continue.
    pls help......

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems to me if you're looking for the power series of the thing on the left hand side, then you might want to try looking for the power series of the thing on the right hand side.

4. Jan 26, 2006 #3
    ya i'm looking for the thing on the left hand side.....pls help

5. Jan 26, 2006 #4
    Take the thing on the right, and differentiate it a few times, and let x = 0 each time.

[tex]f(x) = f(0) + xf'(0) + \frac{x^2}{2!}f''(0) + ... [/tex]

Where f'(0) represents the derivative at x = 0. f''(0) is the second derivative etc. This will give a power series, then you can integrate term by term for the inverse tan function.

6. Jan 26, 2006 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One doesn't need to know any calculus at all to find the power series for [itex]1/(1+x^2)[/itex].

I gave you a big hint -- have you not tried to do anything with it? :grumpy:

7. Jan 26, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Go back and read Hurkyl's reply again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?