Geometric Series: Summing the Powers of x

In summary: This is maybe the most complicated of the three, practice in rearranging summations never hurt.thanks for all the hints.
kezman
Find the sum of the series:
[tex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {nx^n } [/tex] if [tex]
\left| x \right| < 1

[/tex]

I thought maybe with the geometric form, but I am not sure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kezman said:
[tex]
\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {nx^n }
[/tex]

if
[tex]
\left| x \right| < 1
[/tex]I thought maybe with the geometric form, but I am not sure.

Is it asking for a number, or just if the series converges?

I think for a general solution. It should converge.

Is it asking you to find a power series representation??

verd said:
Is it asking you to find a power series representation??

It already is a power series... It's asking for an expression for the sum.

You might start by writing out partial sums and see if that gets you anywhere...

kezman said:
\left| x \right| < 1

[/tex]

How does this differ from your usual geometric series?

kezman said:
\left| x \right| < 1

[/tex]

Hint : Call the original series S. Write out the first five or so terms in the series. Divide the series by x to get a new series (S/x). Now take the difference between this new series and the original series (S/x - S), term by term and see what you end up with.

The other way to do it is to differentiate a geometric series, but that's more complicated and unnecessary.

Last edited:
Cyclovenom said:

Comparing series like these to derivatives of geometric series is a nice and interesting approach (I used to do this), but in most cases I've found that simply dividing or multiplying by x is an easier approach. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
May as well have a third approach:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}nx^n=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\sum_{i=1}^{n}x^n[/tex]

Change the order of summation (absolutely convergent series) then apply geometric series a couple of times. This is maybe the most complicated of the three, practice in rearranging summations never hurt.

Last edited:
thanks for all the hints.

The method I had to use is the derivative of the geometric series (similar to the one used for the maclaurin problem) using

[tex]

\left( {\frac{1}{{1 - x}}} \right)^\prime = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {nx^{n - 1} }

[/tex]

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers in which each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant value called the common ratio. The general form of a geometric series is: a + ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + ... + ar^n, where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

2. How do you find the sum of a geometric series?

The sum of a geometric series can be found using the formula: Sn = a(1 - r^n) / (1 - r), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. If the value of r is less than 1, the series will have a finite sum. If r is equal to or greater than 1, the series will have an infinite sum.

3. What is the common ratio in a geometric series?

The common ratio in a geometric series is the constant value that is multiplied by each term to get the next term. It is denoted by the letter r and is calculated by dividing any term in the series by the previous term.

4. Can a geometric series have a negative common ratio?

Yes, a geometric series can have a negative common ratio. This means that each term in the series will have a different sign (positive or negative). The sum of a geometric series with a negative common ratio can be found using the formula: Sn = a(1 - (-r)^n) / (1 - (-r)).

5. What is the difference between a finite and infinite geometric series?

A finite geometric series has a limited number of terms and therefore, a finite sum. An infinite geometric series has an unlimited number of terms and therefore, an infinite sum. The value of the common ratio determines whether a geometric series is finite or infinite, as a value of r less than 1 will result in a finite sum, while a value of r equal to or greater than 1 will result in an infinite sum.