Why Should You Integrate a Power Series from Zero?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving integration of a power series. The expert explains that the derivative of the given series can be rewritten as a known series for ln(x) about x=1. They also mention that the constant of integration can be evaluated by plugging in x=0 and using the limit as x approaches 0. They suggest that integrating from 0 to x may be a clearer approach for this problem.
hyper
Hello, I have a power series, and a problem with an integration with it, I don't understand why I should integrate it from zero at one point. I have attached a detalied explanation of the problem.

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/5156/powerseriespt4.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you don't integrate anything, you simply expanded the sum incorrectly.

You are given that
[tex]g(x)= \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{x^{n+2}}{n(n+2)4^n}[/tex]
You say, correctly, that the derivative of that is, differentiating term by term,
[tex]g'(x)= \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{x^{n+1}}{n 4^n}[/tex]
Obviously, you can factor an "x" out of that leaving
[tex]g'(x)= x\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n 4^n}= x\sum{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n}\left(\frac{n}{4}\right)^n[/itex]
[tex]g'(x)= x\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n}\left(\frac{x}{4}+1- 1\right)^n[/tex]
and you should be able to recognize that last sum as the Taylor's series for ln(x) about x= 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your answer! I did not recognize that it was the series for ln(x) about one.

But I would like to know how I can solve excercises like this without recognizing known series. And if you look at what I have written you'll se that I do end up with the right answer without recognizing any known series, but I would like to know why.

I think it could be nice for me learning to solve problems like this without knowing how a lot of known series look like.

Have a nice day.

I'm sure you're past caring by now, but actually you were doing fine. All you need to do now is evaluate the constant of integration. This can be done by plugging in any value of x within the radius of convergence. For example, x=1 or x=3 will work, but again you'd need to recognize the series for ln(1-1/4) or ln(1-3/4), which you are trying to avoid.

To get around this, you need to "plug in" x=0. Of course, this is cheating, since g'(x)/x is undefined at x=0, but we step around that problem by using the limit of g'(x)/x as x APPROACHES 0. This is perfectly well-defined and easily evaluated to be equal to 0, since your equation (3) shows that away from 0, g'(x)/x is a power series with a factor of x.

Since g'(x)/x approaches 0 as x approaches 0, your last equation implies that C= ln(4) as required.

It is often useful with term-by-term integration problems to integrate from 0 to x as you suggest. This is equivalent to plugging in x=0 as above, since the integral of any integrable function from 0 to 0 is of course 0. Because of the x in the denominator in this problem, I think it's clearer to handle the way you did it.

Incidentally, I have bypassed some mathematical niceties regarding equating the limit of a function and the value of it's series expansion. Suffice to say that there is no problem because the series in question converges and is continuous in an interval around x=0.

What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑(a_nx^n), where a_n are the coefficients and x is the variable. It is a mathematical tool used to represent functions as a sum of infinitely many terms.

Why do we need to integrate power series?

Integrating power series can help us find the antiderivative of a function. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as calculating areas and volumes, solving differential equations, and evaluating definite integrals.

How do you integrate a power series?

To integrate a power series, you can use the power rule for integration, which states that the integral of x^n is x^(n+1)/(n+1). You can also use other integration techniques, such as substitution, partial fractions, or integration by parts.

What are the common mistakes when integrating power series?

Some common mistakes when integrating power series include forgetting to add the constant of integration, using the wrong integration technique, and making mistakes in the algebraic manipulation of the terms. It is important to double-check your work and be careful with the calculations.

What are some real-world applications of integrating power series?

Integrating power series has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model and solve problems related to motion, electricity and magnetism, heat transfer, and financial investments.