1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Series

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the power series

Σanxn = 1+2x+3x2+x3+2x4+3x5+x6+…

in which the coefficients an=1,2,3,1,2,3,1,... are periodic of period p=3. Find the radius of convergence.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt at a solution was to first state that the series was geometric as r=x
    In order for this series to converge, the absolute value of r must be less than 1.
    Therefore |x|<1.
    Based on this, the interval of convergence is (-1,1) and the radius is r=1.

Based on my solution, I did not take into account an.... If there is another solution I would need to take an into account to solve the radius of convergence please let me know.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

What if x is negative? Then you'd have an alternating series. You have to consider where this series converges.
  4. Mar 2, 2010 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But the series isn't a geometric series. So you don't know |x|<1 yet. You can split it up into some series that are geometric, though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook