Analyzing the Convergence of a Power Series

In summary, the given power series has a radius of convergence of R=1 and an interval of convergence of [2,4). It converges absolutely at |x-3|<1 and diverges at all other values. The series is conditionally convergent at x=2 and divergent at x=4. The ratio test was used to determine absolute convergence for x=2.
mattmannmf
Im given the following power series:
[tex]\sum[/tex] (x-3)^n/ n

I determined that the radius of convergence is R=1 and the interval of convergence is [2, 4)

They ask what values of x for which series converges absolutely?
and values of x for which series converges conditionally?

From what i read, my series should converge absolutely at |x-3|<1 (am i right?)

Im not sure about values of x where the series converges conditionally.

Physics news on Phys.org
mattmannmf said:
Im given the following power series:
[tex]\sum[/tex] (x-3)^n/ n

I determined that the radius of convergence is R=1 and the interval of convergence is [2, 4)

They ask what values of x for which series converges absolutely?
and values of x for which series converges conditionally?

From what i read, my series should converge absolutely at |x-3|<1 (am i right?)

Im not sure about values of x where the series converges conditionally.

Check the end points, x = 2 and 4.

yeah i did.
it converged on x=2
but diverged on x=4

so is that what they mean by absolute and conditionally?

mattmannmf said:
yeah i did.
it converged on x=2
but diverged on x=4

so is that what they mean by absolute and conditionally?

A series is conditionally convergent if is convergent but not absolutely convergent. So at x = 2, since it converges, you have to also check whether it converges absolutely. If it doesn't, then it is conditionally convergent.

I did the algebra and it came out that x=2 does converge abs.

so there are no other values that converge absolutely? what about in between the interval? do i have to check those too?

all other values outside the interval would diverge the series correct?

mattmannmf said:
I did the algebra and it came out that x=2 does converge abs.

We don't say that "x=2 does converge". We say "the series converges for x=2". But you better check again the "absolutely" part for x = 2.
so there are no other values that converge absolutely? what about in between the interval? do i have to check those too?

all other values outside the interval would diverge the series correct?

I thought you had already understood that you have absolute convergence inside the radius of convergence. And, of course, divergence beyond it.

well what i did to check the absolute convergence for x= 2 is I used the ratio test for:
E (x-3)^n/ n

And what I did was I just plugged in 2 for the x value and it came out to be -1 when I took the limit. And according to Ratio Test, <1 means abs conv.

What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0^∞ an(x-c)n, where an are coefficients, x is the variable, and c is the center of the series. It is a type of mathematical representation that can approximate a function on a certain interval.

What is the purpose of analyzing the convergence of a power series?

The convergence of a power series determines the values of x for which the series will converge, meaning that its sum will approach a finite value as n approaches infinity. This is important in determining the validity and accuracy of using a power series to approximate a function.

How do you determine the convergence of a power series?

The convergence of a power series can be determined using various tests, such as the ratio test, root test, or direct comparison test. These tests involve evaluating the limit of the sequence of terms in the series and comparing it to known values or known convergence criteria.

What is meant by absolute and conditional convergence in a power series?

A power series is said to have absolute convergence if the series converges for all values of x within the interval of convergence. Conditional convergence refers to a situation where the series converges, but only for certain values of x within the interval of convergence.

What are some real-world applications of power series convergence analysis?

Power series convergence analysis has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, it can be used to approximate the behavior of physical systems, calculate financial risk, or analyze the stability of numerical methods.