What is the power series for cos(u^2) up to the u^24 term?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the power series for cos(u^2) up to the u^24 term. The initial power series for cosx is given, and the question is to substitute u^2 for x and determine the changes in powers and coefficients. The final step is to find the factorial in the denominator when the power of u is 24.
iceman
Hello, can anyone help me on this one? I am finding problem pretty tricky indeed.

I know the power series (or Taylor series) for cosx is

1-x^2/2!+x^4/4!-x^6/6!+... (It is convergent for all element x is a member of set R)

Q) Write down the power series for cos(u^2) up to the u^24 term.

Your help is kindly appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First write the cos(x) series you know. Then plug in u^2 for each x in the series. What will that do to the powers of u? What will it do to the coefficients? After you answer those questions try this. What will be the factorial in the denominator when the power of u is 24?

Hi there! The power series for cos(u^2) up to the u^24 term would be:

1 - (u^2)^2/2! + (u^2)^4/4! - (u^2)^6/6! + (u^2)^8/8! - (u^2)^10/10! + (u^2)^12/12! - (u^2)^14/14! + (u^2)^16/16! - (u^2)^18/18! + (u^2)^20/20! - (u^2)^22/22! + (u^2)^24/24!

This is a bit tricky because we have to take into account that u is being squared. So, we have to raise each term to the power of 2. For example, (u^2)^2 becomes u^4, (u^2)^4 becomes u^8, and so on. Then, we divide each term by the corresponding factorial value, just like in the power series for cosx. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a representation of a mathematical function as an infinite sum of terms, each of which is a constant multiplied by a variable raised to a non-negative integer power.

2. How is cos(u^2) represented as a power series?

The power series for cos(u^2) is given by 1 - u^4/2! + u^8/4! - u^12/6! + u^16/8! - u^20/10! + u^24/12! + ..., where the exponents of u^2 increase by 4 and the coefficients are alternating between positive and negative.

3. How is the power series expanded up to the u^24 term?

To expand the power series up to the u^24 term, we need to keep adding terms until we reach the desired term. In this case, we need to add 6 more terms to the given series to reach the u^24 term.

4. Why do we need to use a power series to represent cos(u^2)?

Some functions, like cos(u^2), cannot be represented by a finite polynomial. A power series allows us to approximate these functions with a finite number of terms, making them easier to work with in calculations.

5. How accurate is the power series representation of cos(u^2) up to the u^24 term?

The accuracy of the power series representation depends on the value of u and the number of terms used in the series. Generally, the more terms we use, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, for values of u close to 0, the first few terms of the series are usually sufficient to provide a good approximation.