Proving pi/4-ln(sqrt(2)) with Arctan Series

• Thread starter EV33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses using the power series for arctan to show that pi/4-ln(sqrt(2)) is equal to a series of alternating fractions. The conversation also mentions using the natural log Taylor series and a property of logarithms to simplify the problem.
EV33

Homework Statement

Using the power series for arctan show that pi/4-ln(sqrt(2))=1-1/2-1/3+1/4+1/5...

Homework Equations

arctan=1-(1/3)x^3+(1/5)x^5...(((-1)^n)(x^(2n+1)))/(2n+1)

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I noticed was that arctan(1)=pi/4 and represented 1-1/3+1/5...

I am having trouble figuring out what -1/2+1/4-1/6... is equivalent to besides a simple series.

If anyone has any hints. I would love to hear them because I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have tried converting it back to a geometric series and comparing it to the natural log taylor series but haven't had any luck.

What's the sum from n=1 to infinity of [tex]\frac{\left(-1\right)^n}{n}[/tex]? Also, do you see that [tex]log(\sqrt{2}) = \frac{1}{2}log(2)[/tex]?

Thank you so much. It is always something simple. That log property makes this problem a lot easier.

1. What is the significance of proving pi/4-ln(sqrt(2)) with Arctan Series?

The significance of this proof lies in the fact that it demonstrates the connection between two fundamental mathematical constants - pi and the natural logarithm of the square root of 2. This connection is important in various areas of mathematics and has practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics.

2. How does the Arctan Series allow for the proof of pi/4-ln(sqrt(2))?

The Arctan Series is a mathematical series that is used to approximate the value of the arctangent function. By manipulating this series, it is possible to derive the value of pi/4-ln(sqrt(2)), thus proving its equality to the value of the arctangent of 1.

3. Can you explain the steps involved in this proof?

The proof involves using the properties of the arctangent function and manipulating the Arctan Series to arrive at the value of pi/4-ln(sqrt(2)). This is done by substituting the value of 1 into the series and simplifying it using algebraic techniques.

4. Are there any real-world applications of this proof?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of this proof. For example, in engineering, this proof can be used to calculate the angle of inclination for structures such as bridges or buildings. It can also be applied in physics to calculate the trajectory of projectiles or the curvature of a circle.

5. Is this proof widely accepted by the scientific community?

Yes, this proof has been widely accepted by the scientific community and is considered a fundamental result in mathematics. It has been extensively studied and verified by mathematicians and has been used in various fields of science and engineering.