1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power series

1. Nov 28, 2004 #1
    For the most part I seem to understand what I'm doing, but whenever you toss in a [tex](-1)^n[/tex] or a [tex](-1)^{n+1} [/tex] it starts to trip me up.
    For example:

pretty straight forward, it's centered at 5, use the ratio test and solve the inequality to obtain R = 5 with endpoints 0, 10. It's when I go to test the endpoints that I get into trouble. I am going to solve this the way I would and maybe someone can point out where I'm going wrong with my thinking or algebra.

Just as I was typing this, I think I found my mistake, but how do I fix it?
    I have been factoring out a [tex]-1[/tex] from the [tex](-5)^n[/tex] and canceling the [tex]5^n[/tex] with the one in the denominator. You can't do that can you? How about this?

That would let the 5^n's cancel and would leave

right? Isn't this still an alternating series? The solutions manual says that when x=0 it should go to

which is a divergent p series and when x = 10 it stays an alternating series.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2004 #2
    You are right. When x=0 you get a divergent p series. But the [tex]\sum\frac{(-1)^{2n+1}}{n}[/tex] is NO alternating series because the sign always stays minus. If x = 10, you will get an alternating series : [tex]\sum\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n}[/tex]

4. Nov 28, 2004 #3
    Thanks marlon, I see it now. No matter what n is, your always going to get -1 raised to an odd value.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?