Solving -1^n and (-1)^{n+1} Confusions

• Thread starter kdinser
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of (-1)^n and (-1)^{n+1} in a mathematical equation and the confusion it causes for the speaker. They mention using the ratio test to determine the convergence of the equation and their mistake in factoring out a -1. The conversation also touches on the concept of alternating series and how it applies to the equation.
kdinser
For the most part I seem to understand what I'm doing, but whenever you toss in a [tex](-1)^n[/tex] or a [tex](-1)^{n+1} [/tex] it starts to trip me up.
For example:

[tex]\sum\frac{(-1)^{n+1}(x-5)^n}{n5^n}[/tex]

pretty straight forward, it's centered at 5, use the ratio test and solve the inequality to obtain R = 5 with endpoints 0, 10. It's when I go to test the endpoints that I get into trouble. I am going to solve this the way I would and maybe someone can point out where I'm going wrong with my thinking or algebra.

[tex]\sum\frac{(-1)^{n+1}(0-5)^n}{n5^n}[/tex]

[tex]\sum\frac{(-1)^{n+1}(-5)^n}{n5^n}[/tex]

Just as I was typing this, I think I found my mistake, but how do I fix it?
I have been factoring out a [tex]-1[/tex] from the [tex](-5)^n[/tex] and canceling the [tex]5^n[/tex] with the one in the denominator. You can't do that can you? How about this?

[tex]\sum\frac{(-1)^{n+1}(-1)^n(5)^n}{n5^n}[/tex]

That would let the 5^n's cancel and would leave

[tex]\sum\frac{(-1)^{2n+1}}{n}[/tex]

right? Isn't this still an alternating series? The solutions manual says that when x=0 it should go to

[tex]\sum\frac{-1}{n}[/tex]

which is a divergent p series and when x = 10 it stays an alternating series.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right. When x=0 you get a divergent p series. But the [tex]\sum\frac{(-1)^{2n+1}}{n}[/tex] is NO alternating series because the sign always stays minus. If x = 10, you will get an alternating series : [tex]\sum\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n}[/tex]

regards
marlon

Thanks marlon, I see it now. No matter what n is, your always going to get -1 raised to an odd value.

1. What does -1^n mean?

The notation -1^n means to raise -1 to the power of n. This can also be written as (-1)^n.

2. What is the difference between -1^n and (-1)^{n+1}?

The main difference between -1^n and (-1)^{n+1} is the order of operations. In -1^n, the exponent applies only to the -1, whereas in (-1)^{n+1}, the exponent applies to the entire expression (-1)^{n+1}. This means that the latter will always give an even result, while the former will alternate between even and odd results.

3. How do I solve -1^n and (-1)^{n+1} in an equation?

To solve for -1^n, simply raise -1 to the power of n. For example, if n=3, then -1^n = -1^3 = -1*-1*-1 = -1. To solve for (-1)^{n+1}, plug in the value of n and then raise the entire expression (-1)^{n+1} to that power. For example, if n=2, then (-1)^{n+1} = (-1)^{2+1} = (-1)^3 = -1*-1*-1 = -1.

4. What are some real-life applications of -1^n and (-1)^{n+1}?

These notations are commonly used in math and science, particularly in topics such as algebra, calculus, and physics. They can also be used to model patterns and sequences in various fields.

5. Can -1^n or (-1)^{n+1} have complex solutions?

Yes, both -1^n and (-1)^{n+1} can have complex solutions. This is because raising -1 to a fractional or irrational power can result in complex numbers. For example, (-1)^{1/2} = √-1 = i.