1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power series

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've attached the question

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not exactly sure how to do this question. Is it an interval of convergence question where i simply let log(1+2x) < 1 and solve for x??

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's actually more of a logic problem. They told you log(1+x) converges for |x|<1. So what's the range of convergence of log(1+2x)? You are overthinking this by quite a bit.

4. Oct 27, 2011 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No. What I would do is find the power series for log(1 + 2x), which is simply a matter of a substitution, and then determine the interval of convergence of the new series.

BTW, calculus-type problems like this should not be posted in the Precalc section.

5. Oct 27, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think it's even much of a precalc question. See my previous post.

6. Oct 27, 2011 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I agree that it's not a difficult problem, but being about series and convergence, it seems a better place for it is in the Calculus & Beyond section.

7. Oct 28, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your choice, of course. But I don't think you need any convergence tests to answer the question. x is a number, 2x is a number.

8. Oct 28, 2011 #7
    so your saying the answer is simply |2x| < 1?

9. Oct 28, 2011 #8
    Okay I understand how to do interval of convergences but how would I get the new series through substitution?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook