Calculating Total Power of Heaters Connected in Series

In summary, when two heaters are connected in series across a battery, the total power they use is the sum of their individual powers. This is due to the fact that power is additive in series circuits. The total power is calculated using the formula \frac{1}{P_{total}} = \frac{1}{P_{1}} + \frac{1}{P_{2}}, where P_{1} and P_{2} are the individual powers of the heaters when connected separately to the same battery. However, this formula assumes that the battery has a fixed voltage. If the voltage is not fixed, the formula becomes P_{total} = \frac{V^2}{1/P_{1}+1/P
figs
One heater uses 339.40 W of power when connected by itself to a battery. Another heater uses 231.45 W of power when connected by itself to the same battery. How much total power do the heaters use when they are both connected in series across the battery?

I tried to work with P=VI with the two wattages given, but i wasnt sure
where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
A deceptive title!

Power is additive in series circuits.

[tex]P_{total}=P_{1}+P_{2}+P_{3}+...+P_{n}[/tex]

Sirus said:
Power is additive in series circuits.

[tex]P_{total}=P_{1}+P_{2}+P_{3}+...+P_{n}[/tex]

NO, they do not..... :devil:

you can set the battery has a voltage [itex] V [/itex]
calculate the resistant for each heater in term of [itex] V [/itex]

then use

[tex] R_{total} = R_{1} + R_{2} [/tex]

to find the total resistant in series... after you have the total resistant, you can get the total current, finally, use your P=VI

if everything is right, you will get something like [tex] \frac{1}{P_{total}} = \frac{1}{P_{1}} + \frac{1}{P_{2}} [/tex] :wink:

VINCENTCHAN,WHAT ARE U TALKING ABOUT...?

[tex] P=UI=R_{equiv}I^{2} [/tex]

[tex] U_{1}=R_{1}I [/tex]

[tex] U_{2}=R_{2}I [/tex]

[tex]U=U_{1}+U_{2} [/tex]

[tex]R_{equiv}=R_{1}+R_{2} [/tex]

[tex] P_{1}=U_{1}I [/tex]

[tex] P_{2}=U_{2}I [/tex]

[tex] P=UI=(R_{1}I+R_{2}I)I=P_{1}+P_{2} [/tex]

Daniel.

Last edited:
DEXTERCIOBY: WHAT DID YOU TALKING ABOUT :devil:
assume the battery has a fixed voltage instead of fixed current (which is most of the case)

[tex]
P_{1} = V^2/R_{1} [/tex]
[tex]
P_{2} = V^2/R_{1}[/tex]
[tex]
R_{1} = V^2/ P_{1}[/tex]
[tex]R_{2} = V^2/ P_{2}\\[/tex]

[tex]R_{total} = R_{1}+R_{1}= V^2/ P_{1}+V^2/ P_{2}[/tex]

[tex]P_{total} =V^2/R_{total} = \frac{V^2}{ V^2/ P_{1}+V^2/ P_{2}}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{1/P_{1} + 1/P_{2}} [/tex]

PS
dextercioby,
please tell me how do you make those large letter as you did in other thread... I can't figure it out myself... :rolleyes:

edit:
ha ha, i figure it out now

YOU ARE SO WRONG, DEXTERCIOBY

Last edited:
Aren't dextercioby and vincentchan answering different questions? :smile:
Dextercioby gives the proof that the total power output for a given series circuit is the sum of the power outputs from all the components in that series circuit.
Vincentchan addresses what I believe was the original question. The initial data is the power output when each component is the only component in the circuit. When the two components are put into the same circuit, vincentchan's formula holds true.
P1 and P2 are defined differently in the conflicting posts, so they are both correct, imo.
Chris

Yes,you're are right...My analysis,though principially correct,didn't take into account the data of the problem (the fact that it is the same battery and the P_{1} & P_{2} don't have the significance i thought they would...).

Daniel.

P.S.Which letters are you talking about...?

EDIT:In your dreams,Vincentchan... :tongue2:

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the total power of heaters connected in series?

To calculate the total power of heaters connected in series, you need to add up the power of each individual heater. This can be done by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I) for each heater and then adding all of these values together. The formula for calculating power is P=VI.

2. Can the total power of heaters connected in series be different from the individual heater's power?

Yes, the total power of heaters connected in series can be different from the individual heater's power. This is because the total power is affected by the resistance of each heater and the overall resistance of the circuit. If the heaters have different resistances, the total power will be different from the individual heaters' power.

3. What units should be used for calculating the total power of heaters connected in series?

The units used for calculating the total power of heaters connected in series should be consistent with the units used for voltage and current. This means that if the voltage is measured in volts (V) and the current is measured in amperes (A), then the power should be measured in watts (W).

4. How does the total power of heaters connected in series affect the overall temperature of the system?

The total power of heaters connected in series can have a direct impact on the overall temperature of the system. If the total power is high, it means that more energy is being transferred to the system, which can result in a higher temperature. Similarly, a lower total power can result in a lower temperature.

5. Can the total power of heaters connected in series be decreased by adding more heaters?

No, the total power of heaters connected in series cannot be decreased by adding more heaters. In fact, adding more heaters will increase the total power of the system. This is because each additional heater will increase the overall resistance of the circuit, resulting in a higher total power. To decrease the total power, you would need to decrease the resistance or voltage in the circuit.