Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Power series

1. Feb 5, 2005 #1
    Evaluate the indefinite integral as a power series and find radius of convergence. (i don't know how to type the integral and summations signs, sorry)

(integral sign) (x-tan^-1x)/x^3 dx. ( if you write this out it makes more sense)

i was able to find the power series of tan^-1x = x^(2n+1) (-1)^n/(2n+1).
    i don't know how to continue on with this. all we have learned is to use the power series of the geometric series 1/(1-x), and some integration/differentiation methods.

i am rather confused on the whole topic, so if anyone has any ideas, the simplest explanations would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So your integral is
    [tex] \int \frac{x-\arctan x}{x^{3}} dx [/tex]

??Okay,for term by term integration of it,separate it into 2 integrals...Though it's not really helpful for the convergence part...

Daniel.

4. Feb 5, 2005 #3
    that is the integral, thanks, but i am not sure what to do after pulling it apart into two integrals. quite honestly, i am puzzled by this whole topic. any advice?

5. Feb 5, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1.Pull apart into integrals.
    2.Integrate the first.It's elementary.
    3.Write the series expansion of "artan" and devide its terms by x^{3}.
    4.Integrate by parts eery term of the new series...
    5.Think of a way to get the convergence radius.

Daniel.

P.S.It can be done exactly (find the antiderivative).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook